Thyroid Disorders Community
radiation treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

radiation treatment

I was born in the Ohio Valley in 1955.  The doctor had a radiation treatment done on me prior to me going home to  start my great childhood.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism approx. 20 years ago.  Each time I go to my doctor, I have the same problems... fatigue, weight gain, dry skin. depression, and  lost libido. I request the doctor to increase my Synthroid.    He is reluctant.  I'm sure I need to go to an endocrinologist. When do you say enough is enough and the medicine needs to be increased?
You had radiation done in the hospital as in infant?  For what reason?

As far as hypothyroidism, we need to know what your current thyroid hormone levels are in order to know if you need a dosage increase or not; your symptoms indicate that you might.

You should be getting tested for Free T3, Free T4 and TSH on a regular basis.  If not, you definitely need a new doctor, but it's debatable, whether that doctor needs to be an endocrinologist or not, since some/many endos specialize in diabetes and, actually, know very little about thyroid issues.

If you have current levels for Free T3, Free T4 and TSH, please post them, along with the reference ranges, which vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.

Do you know if you have Hashimoto's?  Hashimoto's is a an autoimmune disease, in which the body sees the thyroid as foreign and produces antibodies to destroy it.  The destruction, typically, takes place over time until eventually, the thyroid no longer produces any hormones at all and the patient is completely reliant on the daily dose of thyroid replacement hormones (in your case, Synthroid).  Hashimoto's is the number 1 cause of hypothyroidism in the developed world.