Thyroid Disorders Community
right hemithyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

right hemithyroid

A CT scan showed "Incidental 1.7 cm nodule within the right hemithyroid"  What in the world is this?  Where is it located?  What does it mean?  Should I see someone about this?  I've tried to get information on this but can't even find the meaning of "hemithyroid".
        Thank you for your help.

Margie Sims
This means you have a nodule in the right side of your thyroid.  

Don't freak out.  Most nodules are found accidentally (like yours) and 95% are benign.  The next step is most likely ultrasound and then fine needle biopsy.  

If its conclusively benign and not bothersome, your doctor will most likely suggest watchful waiting.
I am in the exact same positition  with 3 small thyroid nodules found by accident in October of 2006 on an ultrasound I asked my internist for because my metabolism is very slow and my thyroid blood tests are also normal.

dscoochie,  I see that about only two days after you wrote those reassuring words about how most thyroid nodules are found accidently,and 95% are benign,you found out you have thyroid cancer! A thyroid cancer from thyca  told me that my first cousin who had a thyroid nodule found by accident on an MRI for head aches and she had no thyroid conditions, and her nodule was cold,and she had an inclusive biopsy and then half her thyroid out and it was benign,was lucky because she said 99% of people with thyroid cancer it was found by accident!