Thyroid Disorders Community
shortness of breath and chest pain with numbness in extremities on synt...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

shortness of breath and chest pain with numbness in extremities on synthroid

I went into a thyroid crisis last May and was put on PTU for two months then I had the I-131 radiation treatment in August. At that time my TSH was 0.23. I had a 2 sonometer nodule on the left side of my thyroid. I went from August to December on nothing and my TSH was then up to 20. I started on Synthroid 100mcg. In february my TSH was 0.04 with no symptoms of hyperthyroid except I would have numbness in my left hand and foot. I was decreased to 75mcg of synthroid on February 11,2011 and on March 7th I began having chest pain and the inability to obtain a deep breath, numbness in my left hand and foot. i was admitted to the hospital for 5 days after 2 ekg's, MRI of the brain, echo, CT of the chest, cardiac enzymes, ABG's, tested for Lupus, EBV, RA., which were all negtive. I have been off my synthroid for 6 days now and continue to have chest pain and the inability to take a deep breath. While in the hospital I had some type of questionable seizure activity where both my upper and lower extremities went 100% numb and my hands became stiff and contracted. Although I was aware of it all. i am no better and no one can tell me why I feel the way i do. all my doctors have said i dont know what is wrong it is a mystery!
Please post your thyroid test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.  

After having had I-131, I'd certainly be suspicious of having low thyroid levels.  If your doctor is one with the "Immaculate TSH Belief", and only wants to use TSH for diagnosing and medicating you, that is guaranteed to keep you sick.  Frequently hypo patients taking significant amounts of T4 meds find their TSH suppressed, like yours.  That does not mean that you were hyper, unless you also had hyper symptoms, as a result of excessive thyroid levels.  

TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by so many variables that it is inadequate for anything other than an indicator, to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, and also levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, free T3 and free T4.  Studies have shown that FT3 is the most important, since it largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Studies have also shown that FT3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while FT4 and TSH did not correlate.  

In view of you having been off Synthroid for 6 days now, I really think you should talk to your doctor about how bad you are feeling and start back on the Synthroid and also go back for testing ASAP, to determine your thyroid levels.  Extremely low thyroid levels can be very serious, so don't wait.