Thyroid Disorders Community
slightly elevated TSH

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

slightly elevated TSH

My 15 yo has abn low hr resting in high 30s.  This has been ongoing for years.  She has seen a cardiologist and was cleared 3 years ago but recently has become symptomatic with it.  She then had an episode of tachycardia up to 130s.  Went to ER, EKG showed bradycardia and sinus arrythmia, had lab done, her K+ was 3.2, TSH was 4.8, sodium was 146.  CBC fine.  The Doc referred her back to cardiology and he drew;  reverse T3 was 37, total T3 was 90, and TRH < 5, radom sodium urine was 269, random creatinine was 256, random urine creat 258.  She has sx of hypothyroid, tired all the time, recent weight gain of 15lbs.  She is hungry all the time.  Some depression at times, and chronic bradycardia.  Do you think this is hypothyroid or is something else going on?  I have not heard back from the cardiologist, went back to see PCP and she said labs were fine.  I am an RN and I know that some of her labs are off.  Any ideas or direction?  My daughter is terrified she thinks she is dying, I don't know where else to turn.  Thanks
The best tests are Free T3 and Free T4 to have done...they show the 'true' result of the thyroid.
As for weight gain....I was hyper before RAI with Graves and gained over 23lbs....it is a fallacy that only Hypo gain weight.
As for the HR of high 30,s...that is not good .
It should be a lot higher and I would be demanding answers.
I suffer with bradycardia and Tachycardi and have since birth due to a heart murmur but when Graves and Hyperthyroidism reared its ugly head, it got severe.
I ended up with Thyroid Storm 3 times in 2 weeks and the last episode resulted in paddles being used to 'regulate' the heart.
Ask your Doc to do the FREE's and also TSI and TPO (antibody testing).