Thyroid Disorders Community
stuffy nose and post nasil drip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

stuffy nose and post nasil drip

i am a 53 menopausal woman who for the past six months has experienced extreme imbalances with my sinuses. my nose goes from running and postnasal drip to extremely dry sticky mucous with crusting. i have read an article that low thyroid gland or hormonal changes can cause this. i have never had any hormone tests or thyroid tests done. is anyone out there going thru what i am goin thru?

please help.

thanks,
leelee17
Hi leelee, I found out I had hypothyroidism after my doctor ordered routine annual labs (cholesterol, fasting glucose, thyroid, etc.) and also blood testing for allergies.  My allergies are out of control and have been for about 10 months.  So, everything was normal, no new allergies, but hypothyroid.  So, for me, whether it is just timing or my allergies are more noticeable because of a thyroid disorder, who knows?  I've have also read articles suggesting that allergies can be triggered or exacerbated as women near menopause; I'm 48 btw.  It seems appropriate to get your thyroid checked out and to also see an allergist if they continue to worsen.  I take zyrtec and also use a nasal spray and a rescue inhaler.  Hope you find relief!  
With me this problem is associated with inflammation. I take natural anti-inflammatories and also sometimes use a nebulizer with a mixture of sterile water and saline.

Do you have asthma or allergies?
God Bless you, Courtney...I found an article on the internet from a Dr. in California. She said the same thing as you, I am going to go to get lab work tomorrow then doctor appt. on Tuesday. I went to get my hair done today and my stylist said my hair was thinner (also a sign of hypo) I am so tired of feeling this way. I pray that's what they find. My thinking is foggy, my skin is dry and my nails crack and chip alot. I"ll keep you posted and thanks again.

Love ,
leelee
hi allmymarbles.
i do have asthma but it is always under control with my daily asmanax. if you see the previous entry from courtney 48, i think she's correct in her statements. i found a Dr, in California who claims the chronic sinus issues expecially in women or either hormonal or thyroid. I'm getting blood work tomorrow and then to the doctor on Tuesday. i'll keep you posted. By the way, can you tell me the name of the natural anti-inflamartories? I am also going to a chiropractor who has natural vitamin products. Maybe he has it at his office.
thanks again for answering my question. talk to you soon

God Bless,
leelee
Among the vitamins are C, B6 and B5. Herbs would include, boswellia, marshmallow, mullein, licorice, and lots and lots of others. Trial and error is how I chose mine, adding only one at a time so that I could evaluate it.
thank you. it's funny you should mention the "b" vitamins. I am also going to a holistic chiropractor and he has me on b vitamins, minerals, herbs for my endocrine system and two liquid mixtures that i must take subiminally. he also told me that the flu virus which i had "REALLY" bad 12 years ago is still in my system! This doc is phenominal! i'll keep you posted on my progress and thanks for you info!

leelee