Thyroid Disorders Community
sweating upon waking (not waking due to sweating)
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

sweating upon waking (not waking due to sweating)

I am hypo thyroid and have been for 28 years (I'm 52).  I'm post menopausal.  In the last six months I do not get night sweats, but do sweat profusely upon waking and more specifically moving.  Because it's been happening so much I've done my own observations.  It's definitely NOT waking up due to sweating but rather sweating after waking.  Can anyone help?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
Even though you are post menopausal, other hormones could be causing this; however, are you sure your thyroid medications are adjusted properly?  

If you could please post your most current thyroid tests, as well as others that might be pertinent, with reference ranges, members would be able to help assess your situation and possibly make some suggestions.

Sweating is one symptom of being hyperthyroid from over medication.
Blank
Thank you Barb135.  I did recently have my thyroxine dose increased.  The waking sweating was happening long before that.  Also, I don't sweat any other time during the day.  Whilst my TSH was within the 'normal' range on my medication I was exhibiting all the signs of being hypo thyroid...hair loss, high cholesterol, exhaustion, drooping eyelids, sore muscles, sore joints, and worse, poor cognitive abilities.  My GP agreed to up the dosage to that which the endocrinologist suggested four years ago (the GP had systematically dropped the dose due to TSH test results even though the endo thought low range TSH was best for me).  That was done three weeks ago.  Symptoms haven't improved so was referred to a local endocrinologist.  He's starting me on T3 and T4 combination to see if there's an improvement.  I've got to get baseline TSH and free T3T4 tests done this week before I make the switch.  I'll post the results.    The sweating has been going on for 6 months now long before thyroxine was upped.  
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
Your symptoms definitely indicate hypo, and it's interesting that you don't wake up sweating, but sweat upon waking.  I wake up sweating, but it gets worse after I'm awake and moving, until I take my shower and end it with cool water; then I'll stop sweating for a while, but it starts again as I get ready for work.

I'll be most interested in seeing your labs when you get them done.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...