Thyroid Disorders Community
swollen tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

swollen tongue

hi all.. hope everyone is feeling a bit better with the spring coming x my question is, i have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and have been on medication for 4 weeks. i had a very swollen tongue before i was diagnosed but i have been suffering symptoms of hypothyroidism for approx 9 months. my tongue is HUGE with dents all the way down the sides. does anyone else suffer with this? and do you think its connected to the thyroid problems. i also suffer with ear ache.. all suggestions welcome!

thanks for reading
josie
Of all the symptoms of Thyroid, that is one I don't have, although it is one that is an allergic reaction to some medications, think back when it first started, what did you take, and what are you still taking that could have caused it, and what did the MD that diagnosed you with Hypo, say? Anything?, I would definatly have a proffesional check that out, it would seem to be a choking risk while sleeping.  Good Luck FTB4
I had this when hypo and give yourself 2 weeks and you will find the symptoms start to go.
I had dry mouth and mouth ulcers too.
Hope that helps.
Yes, this is a symptom,,,I have hashimoto's and my doctor pointed out my tongue having scalloped sides and being swollen. I'm on 60mg. of armour and it's getting better. Hope this helps
I too have this symptom...scalloped sides and swelling.  It responds good to ice.  
Hi, I'm having the same condition as you. For the last year my tongue has been feeling swollen making it difficult to speak. I have very obvious scalloping on the sides of my tongue. I have Hashimitos but my thyroid labs come back normal every time, despite having classical symptoms (cold intolerance, fatigue, muscle weakness etc...). How long did it take for the tongue swelling/scalloping to go away once on the medication? Did your tongue feel uncomfortable as well making it hard to speak?
YUP. ITS RELATED! I HAVE A HUGE COW TOUNGE RIGHT NOW! HA! BUT...... IT CAN ALSO BE FROM THRUSH (CANDIDA IN MOUTH) FROM THE DRY MOUTH AND STEROIDS  (GET YOUR TOUNGE SWABED FOR CANDIDA) AND IT CAN BE FROM LOW BLOOD IRON OR LOW BLOOD B12... ANEMIA, SO GET THAT CHECKED OUT WITH YOUR PRIMARY DR AND HAVE THEM GIVE YOU AN ORDER TO DO THE LABS. THEN HAVE YOUR ENDO DR RECHECK YOUR BLOOD TSH, T3 & T4 AND MAKE SURE YOUR HYPOTHYROIDISM IS TREATED CORRECTLY.
GOOD LUCK!