Thyroid Disorders Community
symptoms worse around my period?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

symptoms worse around my period?

hi, I've been feeling a bit brighter recently, after a year of being hypothyroid and trying to get my medication dose right. But just before and during my period I have started to feel quite rough again. Tired, foggy headed, sore feet, pins and needles on my head.

Can anyone else share anything about any link they've experienced or read about between hypothyroid and mensturatioan cycle?

Any great tips for dealing with it?

thanks for any insights anyone can offer.
I really hope someone answers this..because I am the EXACT same way!! It's like I have 2 half way decent weeks a month and then BAM!
I'm the same way as well, guaranteed the few days before and during my period I feel worse, just like you said actually, more tired, foggy and aches...no pins and needles for me though.  

I just try to really keep track of my periods and I really take lots of extra care of myself in the lead up to my period.  

I don't have the pins and needles. Just more tired, dizzy feeling, nauseated, trouble sleeping and bad mood swings! I definately notice since my TT, my periods are alot heavier. Yuck!  
As optimal as I am with my thyroid now - at that time I still get edgy and can tell its different than it was years ago before all this.

Its definately linked to the swing of estrogen and progesterone in the normal course of our cycle.

thanks everyone, sounds like we're in the same boat, has anyone found anything that helps? I take evening primrose oil all month but wonder if upping my dose or takng more b vitamins around that time might help? I think I'll try asking on the complementary health therapy forum too and see if anyone there has any suggestions....

peace and light to all of you
Vit D - has definately calmed it down for me. Vit D-3 to be exact and it does wonders for me.
ooh, that's interesting, I've been thinking about taking Vit D for a while, I take a lot of other supplements but not that one. I was tested recently and told I had good levels of vit D so had pretty much decided not to start taking it, but the test was done during a period of really good weather here so with all that sunshine I guess my levels were bound to be good at that point. Maybe I'll try that. What made you go for it, were you tested at all?  thanks Stella!
I hope that works for you..it hasn't for me and I take 2,500 units a day. I was deficient in it and my level is still at the low end of the range, but my dr hasn't said anything about increasing. It seems when I keep telling him about these terrible pms symptoms, he doesn't know what to say? Myabe I need a female dr! :-)

Hope it works for you! ...Lynda
thanks Lynda, its so difficult to know what to do for the best. I hope you find something tht will help you - maybe a female doctor would know more about menstrual stuff, maybe worth a try anyway!

I have the same problem but I also get horrible horrible headaches!  I was wondering if your thyroid levels change during your cycle also.  Maybe a temporary increase at that point in your cycle??  
My periods returned after I got my numbers up so I know my hormones were messed up because of my thyroid problem.  So I wonder how much our thyroids are affecting us at the time of the month?
I'm going to join the crowd.  I am on mine now and this past weekend was one of my worst.  I have a constant headache that even my migraine med won't always help during my cycle.  I'm also taking Vit D3 - as Stella suggested.  My doc has me on 10,000 units a day.  I think it's helped other symptoms but the PMS which now carries on through the entire period is horrendous.  I started wondering if I'm getting early pre-menopause to top it all off!  
I'm nearl;y on 10000-15000 ius - myself.

Vitamin D3 may most definitely be helpful.  Aim for a lab test result of VitaminD 25-hydroxy of between 75-90, much higher than what most doctors will look for, but well within "functional" ranges and optimal for healthy hormone function, including thyroid.  Re-test your Vitamin D levels every 30 days to be sure the dose you're taking (often 5,000 - 20,000 iu a day) is gradually increasing your levels, without building too fast that you go above range. Some people store it quickly and others take a long time, so best to test regularly until you figure out your pace and needs.
Thank you for your post. I will be 45 soon and I am wondering if I may be entering perimenopause. I find that I am becoming increasingly more emotional/stressed overall and around my period. It's day 1 today. I hope
to convince my doctor to do some further hormonal health testing as I wonder if there's more than hypothryoidism causing my symptoms. I take the following vitamin B12, and D and added B complex on the advice of a RD (registered dietician).
Thank you for your post about Vitamin D. Did you know that in Canada one has to pay for Vitamin D 25-hydroxy testing as it is not covered by the government for the general population. After supplementation my level was 92. I don't know what it was prior to this. I likely won't have it tested again for some time because I must pay out of pocket.
My PMS symptoms and symptoms I never used to have are much worse now that I've had a TT.  I'm going to my ob/gyn today because I believe I have entered peri-menopause as well.  If she gives me any insights I will reply again.  

Have a good day!
Thanks for your reply. How was your ob/gyn appointment? I plan to go to the lab for bloodwork on December 9. My doctor requested TSH, Free T4, Free T3, LH,FSH, and Estradiol tests among others.