Thyroid Disorders Community
synthroid & grogginess

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

synthroid & grogginess

I have been on synthroid for about 2 months- in the past week I have experienced excessive grogginess- feeling like i am in stupor. Before this I just had the forgetful, concnetration problems.
My physican switched me from the generic levo to synthroid today but there is no change..i take my med .5 mcg at 0630 by 0800 i am groggy and it lasts til 4 in the afternnon when it lifts about 60% but never completely.. what is the next step for me- i can't work like this.
The switch to Synthroid was a good start. It may take a week or two before you feel any difference.

Are you getting GOOD restful sleep at night?

You need to have bloodwork done again in six weeks to see what your TSH is. Write the number down, or ask for a copy of the lab work. A TSH that looks "good" on the test may be too high and indicate a need for a dosage adjustment.
I started Syntroid just a week ago and feel lousy like I am in a cloud.   My legs are swelling, I feel nervous and I am on 50 mg so I have to go to the doctor today to get my blood checked.
I started levoxyl 4 days ago and am extremely "cloudy" all the time now.  I was before too... but I think it's gotten worse.  The horrible thing is that I can't drag myself out of bed in the morning - I think I could sleep all day if I could.  Sorry.. I'm of no help, but I sympathize.  
I feel the same way and I have been on Synthroid for 5 months. My fatigue lasts until about 4 or 5 pm and I have more energy in the evening than in the morning.

My new endo believes I may have adrenal dysfunction and I am to schedule an ACTH Stimulation test in his office.

It may not be related to the medications and could also be due to your TSH not being at a good level for you.

Also as AR said, it will take time after switching brands/doses to feel the difference.