Thyroid Disorders Community
synthroid alternatives?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

synthroid alternatives?

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 1995.  I had a total thyroidectomy and have been on synthroid since then.  I find it hard to lose weight and I have lost almost all my scalp and body hair.  I was diagnosed with alopecia several years ago and have tried almost everything out there.  Over the past 8 years or so I have grown my scalp hair back only to lose it all again.  I have been reading that the synthroid alternatives might be a better choice.  I have my levels checked once a year and they always seem too low for me, but from what I understand, they need to stay low.  Is this right?  
What do you think of the Synthroid alternatives?  Thanks.
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I am actually on Armour and levothyroxine. After my doctor put me on both is when my blood levels were in the normal range. In 2005 I had a mass removed from my thyroid. I never knew I had problems with my Thyroid until then. The mass came back benign, but I have been on Levothyroxine since then and I have not felt Good since then. I have gained about 50lbs, I have no energy, I have problems concentrating. Then this year I decided to see a holistic doctor who put me on both Armour and a small amount of levothyroxine. My bloodwork shows that my levels are finally normal but I still don't feel any different. I have also been diagnosed with menapause and put on HRT, which only made me feel worse. Right now my doctor is treating me for adrenal failure. I have been on hydrocortisone for about 3 days and I do feel a little better. My doctor just keeps trying different things on me. He says I am a very difficult case. I just want to feel normal! Any suggestions?
Blank
Run..don't walk to your doctor and insist on Thyrolar!!  I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2000 and had a total thyroidectomy and was put on synthroid and was MISERABLE. I finally found a doc to listen and she prescribed Thyrolar which is a combo pill of both t3 and t4 and within 2 weeks I lost 15 lbs, lost the "brain fog", was no longer depressed..the list could go on and on. I have been on it now for 7 years and am a size 6-8, happy, normal and honestly don't even think about my disease. There are 3 different strengths, I am on Thyrolar-2. I know it will make a HUGE difference, it did with me!

Cathy
Blank
Thanks Cathy.  Did you have any hair loss?  I'm not sure if my alopecia is related to the synthroid.  I did have a few small bald spots before starting the synthroid, but they always grew back. About five years after my surgery I had to start wearing a wig.  From early 2005 until eary 2006 I didn't have to wear my wig, but then it all came out again.  It's such a hassel to wear.  Do you have any good websites about the alternatives?  I would like to have some knowledge before I go to my doc with my request.  Thanks
Blank
Im on armour thyroid and I like it.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979