synthroid alternatives?
I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 1995.  I had a total thyroidectomy and have been on synthroid since then.  I find it hard to lose weight and I have lost almost all my scalp and body hair.  I was diagnosed with alopecia several years ago and have tried almost everything out there.  Over the past 8 years or so I have grown my scalp hair back only to lose it all again.  I have been reading that the synthroid alternatives might be a better choice.  I have my levels checked once a year and they always seem too low for me, but from what I understand, they need to stay low.  Is this right?  
What do you think of the Synthroid alternatives?  Thanks.
I am actually on Armour and levothyroxine. After my doctor put me on both is when my blood levels were in the normal range. In 2005 I had a mass removed from my thyroid. I never knew I had problems with my Thyroid until then. The mass came back benign, but I have been on Levothyroxine since then and I have not felt Good since then. I have gained about 50lbs, I have no energy, I have problems concentrating. Then this year I decided to see a holistic doctor who put me on both Armour and a small amount of levothyroxine. My bloodwork shows that my levels are finally normal but I still don't feel any different. I have also been diagnosed with menapause and put on HRT, which only made me feel worse. Right now my doctor is treating me for adrenal failure. I have been on hydrocortisone for about 3 days and I do feel a little better. My doctor just keeps trying different things on me. He says I am a very difficult case. I just want to feel normal! Any suggestions?
Run..don't walk to your doctor and insist on Thyrolar!!  I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2000 and had a total thyroidectomy and was put on synthroid and was MISERABLE. I finally found a doc to listen and she prescribed Thyrolar which is a combo pill of both t3 and t4 and within 2 weeks I lost 15 lbs, lost the "brain fog", was no longer depressed..the list could go on and on. I have been on it now for 7 years and am a size 6-8, happy, normal and honestly don't even think about my disease. There are 3 different strengths, I am on Thyrolar-2. I know it will make a HUGE difference, it did with me!

Cathy
Thanks Cathy.  Did you have any hair loss?  I'm not sure if my alopecia is related to the synthroid.  I did have a few small bald spots before starting the synthroid, but they always grew back. About five years after my surgery I had to start wearing a wig.  From early 2005 until eary 2006 I didn't have to wear my wig, but then it all came out again.  It's such a hassel to wear.  Do you have any good websites about the alternatives?  I would like to have some knowledge before I go to my doc with my request.  Thanks
Im on armour thyroid and I like it.