Thyroid Disorders Community
synthroid and how to take

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

synthroid and how to take

I understand that you are supposed to take synthroid at least 30-60 minutes before eating however, can I take it with my cup of tea in the a.m. for which I do add a bit of milk, just want to be on the safe side as I just started taking the meds a few weeks ago.  Thanks
Tea yes, milk no :-)
thanks I had a feeling that milk was a no no but you never know.  I have to drink my tea with milk and I like it as soon as I get up so I will have to take my meds at a different time of the day instead of the a.m.
Don't take it with your morning iron or vitamin, my doctor said taking it with iron can mess it up too.
AM is best, needs to be on an empty stomach. I kept some water on the night stand and took it before I actually got up, so that by the time I started my day it had been at least 30 minutes.

Also, give your doc a call, if you take it exactly the same way each day and don't change the routine he/she may okay a little bit of milk, you never know. Just means you may have absorption issues  and will have to take a higher dose than you otherwise would have had to take to get the same benefit. That's up to the medical types :-)

Once you start it like that you can't change your routine though. Same amount same time each day.

Empty tummy is least complicated.
It is a serious pain in the rear if I forget to take mine in the morning.  I either have to not eat all frick'n day, until I can go home at lunch and take it, but that means I can't eat for another hour.  Or I have to wait until evening and way 2 to 3 hours over dinner, which throws everything off and I felt bad all day.

I would suggest you drink your tea later, rather than take your meds later :)
You can take a double dose of levothyroxine ( whatever the brand) the next morning if you forget.
Ask the pharmicist or doctor. They used to say skip it, but now say you can double the next day.
The drug stays in your system for 7 days, so it is not a big deal to occasionally miss a dose and make it up the next day.
My endo says you can take a double dose as well. I would not do it too often though. Keep your pills in one of those organizers that have a pill for each day of the week. That will help you keep track of what you've taken and if you've missed.