Thyroid Disorders Community
synthroid and iodine supplements

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

synthroid and iodine supplements

I have had a thyroid condition for almost 10 years.  Just recently I read an article that adding more iodine can improve and often correct hypothyroidism.  I recall when I was pregnant  ( I have 7 children)  I never took my prenatal vitamins because they made me sick.  I also read that women are often misdiagnoised with under active thyroid when it could very well just be lack of iodine.  about a month ago I started taking centrum vitamins which contain 150mcg of iodine.  I also take Now Kelp from iherb which contain 150mcg of iodine.  I read that the daily recommended intake of iodine is 150mcg, however the upper limit is 1100mcg.  Since I have been taking the iodine, I have noticed that I have more energy and my dry skin has gotten much better and my bowels are back to normal( I used to have very loose stool and everything upset my stomache).  Now I can tolerate foods that I was unable to before.  My Dr. has me taking 150mcg of Synthroid daily.  My question, is there anything wrong with taking the extra 150mcg of iodine?  
There is controversary on this. I don't agree with taking the supplements. I think they are undependable in actually giving you what is needed - IF you are already on a thyroid medication.

This will alter labs to see if you are on the right dosages of medication and you may be damaging your gland to "depend" on this extra iodine you are taking.

In addition - if you start to fall short and symptoms return instead of getting your steady dose of meds and start increasing your iodine intake - then you could be causing yourself more grief.

Persoanlly myself...after RAI I eventually got up to 75mcg Thyroxin a day and was fine on that for about 4 weeks THEN all of a sudden, I went hyper and had to go down to 62.5mcg.
Now I find that 62.5mcg daily thyroxin is too much also and am now 'tweaking' my meds taking 62.5mcg on Mon, Wed, Fri and 50mcg on the other days.
It seemed that I  went hyper after I started eating tuna which I hadnt eaten for nearly 2 years due to the iodine in it.
Since stopping the tuna sandwiches, my levels are levelling out nicely and I dont have the anxious 'hyper' symptoms.
I might add that I am very drug sensitive so any form of medication I react to straighht away.
In regards to everyone waiting 4-6 weeks for their levels to come good with a dose change, I only go 3 days and the new dose 'kicks in' straight away.
As silly as it sounds, I STILL avoid any form of iodine now and only take my Thyroxin (T4). I had RAI in June this year (6 months ago) and it seems my body just does not like the extra iodine in foods.
I guess everyone is different but as I said, persoanlly I would avoid taking extra iodine IF you are on a thyroid replacement.
I also avoid all vitamins that contain iodine.
I agree with Stella.