Thyroid Disorders Community
synthroid vs L-thyroxine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

synthroid vs L-thyroxine

everyone keeps saying not to use generic synthroid, is this true.  My insurance wont pay for non generic.  any suggestions
interesting- i have not yet heard this- bumping for an answer, also
I am taking levothyroxine.  My endo who does nothing but thyroid said it is the same.  He said he gives it to his wife.  I think the only downside would be if your pharmacy changes drug companies and the fillers might change.  That hasn't happened to me.  Also there may be a possibility that on either synthroid or levothyroxine you could have reactions to either one.  I haven't had any reaction to the levo. I don't think.  I had taken synthroid in the past and had not problems at all.  I don't know if the levothyroxine is causing me any problems as I am not normal yet.  If my levels get to normal and I still have problems, I will address that then.  linda
My endo left the choice up to me .. but I felt that if I could afford the name brand I will stick with it bcz I don't want any variations month to month to "possbily" contend with even though they say not likely.  

An example is a laxative I am on .. I take generic Miralax and after 1.5yrs of all different labs preparing it generic the last batch TASTED TERRIBLE!!!  It was the inert ingredients ... so I told Walgreens and they called the pharmaceutical co. which said the batch tasted bad but was safe to use .... Walgreens does not order that brand of generic again.  I have also heard that some pain killers like Vicodan can work better/worse from one generic to another.

I can only give you my personal opinion and that of my endo.  Again, my Endo said makes no difference, it was me that chose to stay name brand on this med.

Cheryl
It is very important not to take generic. The generics are manufactured by about 3 different comannies and differences in manufacture can cause enough difference in potency to cause instability.
The doc on the Cleveland Clinic Podcast, lecturing medical students has a sense of humor about it. He said something like " Nine out of ten endocrinologist's will tell you that brand matters, and the tenth one is wrong."
:-)
Sorry about the top there - had a little computer glitch.

I was told NOT to use generic - by my thyroid specialist.  There's another form of hormone called I think - levoxsomething.  It's from an animal not man made.  Maybe that would work for you - just ask your Dr. I am sure he will know the name.  My friend takes it and she keeps telling me that I need to get on it instead of Synthroid.  She says Syntrhoid is synthetic and the levoxthral.... (not sure of the name) is from an animal.

Maybe someone can step in and help me clarify the "levox..." info.

Take care.

Linda
Should of noticed up there - levothyroxine....
I called my doctor the other day because I wanted to be able to take levothyroxine instead of synthroid. By the way, you can get the generic for $4 at the pharmacy whether you have insurance or not. My doctor said that as long as I didn't have thyroid cancer, it was fine.