synthroid vs. generic
My doctor wants me to take synthroid instead of the generic due to the fact I had cancer.  My sister has a nurse practioner friend that insists that it is exactly the same thing and the doctors get a kickback for pushing name brands.  I have heard others thoughts about using synthroid vs. generic.  OF course my sister thinks this woman is the end all and she may very well be right but I have to listen to my endo......any experiences with this?
My Endo didn't care but I chose the name brand so as to know exactly what all the components are so we are going by the book exactly .... cancer supression here as you know.

C~
I had been taking a generic prior to my thyca diagnosis.  Once I got the dx, my dr. changed me to synthroid.  She said she always has her cancer patients take synthorid instead of a generic.  She didn't elaborate on why she does that.
Linda
Thanks.  I read online that some generic batches can be different.  Also, they may change the generic each time you go to the pharmacy.  I will stick to what the doctor orders.
Here is an example:  I am on laxative namebrand Miralax.  For 2yrs have taken generic with fine success .. all diff brands .. then yesterday tasted the new generic they gave me and almost spit it out!!!  It was NOT tasteless and was bitter and disgusting to drink in a liquid .. I tried a few liquids .. so I called Walgreens and told them to figure out a way to get me a diff. generic as this is just not acceptable! They said ok they will see what they can do .. they told me it is a first time order of this brand .. it is new to the market!!!

Hmmmmmm .... C~
..
Politics of doctors and pharmaceutical companies are not important right now, Your optimum health is most important and a branded generic generally costs only a little more than the "generic" generic gotten from just anywhere.
I filled my Levoxyl rx in a new pharmacy on my way to work, forgot my Rx card, just paid the regular price and it was less than 20 dollars.
I agree with you- I wasn't worried about cost like you said.  Thanks for the reply.
For what it's worth, when I started treatment for hypo the generic (levothyroxine) made me feel sick: headache, diarrhea, warm/burning skin (mostly across my face), and mild nausea. My primary care MD sent me to n Endo who switch me to the BRAND (synthroid) and all of hose side effects stopped. I knew the generic caused them because became sick 30 min. after taking the med. Endo alos told me he never prescribes the generic for thyroid unless a patient insists on it. I will never take the generic again (at least not for thyroid/hypo). The brand doesn't cost much more.
Sorry, it was my brain fog kicking in. I wasn't implying the cost mattered to you, I meant that if the doctors were getting a kickback it sure wasn't much LOLOLOL
Hi.
I have been taking levoxyl instead of the others because they inactivate the lactase for people who are lactose intolerant. If I switched, I would have a lot of irritable bowel attacks and I certainly don't want any of that. Now that levoxyl is being recalled, what have your doctor's recommended?
I am a bit frightened to switch but I have to take something. The question is what can I tolerate?
Hi.
You could ask your doctor if you could try Tirosint.  It's a gelcap, contains no lactose and is hypoallergenic.  Because it's a gelcap, it's supposed to be absorbed more easily, so you might need a smaller dose.