Thyroid Disorders Community
taking t3

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

taking t3

hi all,

after talking with my Dr again yesterday we've decided to go with adding in synthethic t3. we did a baseline blodd test and he gave me some 20mcg liothyronine's. he said to leave my levo thyroxine at 150mcgs a day and take the lio ontop..... this concerns me abit as i'm already feeling really buzzy (but apparantly hypo) and isn't t3 5-8 times as potent as t4???? my dr was very nocholent about it and just said if i felt it was to much knock 25mcgs off the levo..

does anyone have experience of taking t3 and how is best to split my doeses given i have real trouble sleeping at the moment anyway?

thanks again everyone, sorry to pratle on but this is a real journey of discovery....

owain
yes usually they cut back the t4 med by 25mcgs...what was your t3 and t4, and tsh levels? It is best to split your dosage into 2 or you will feel way to zippy shall we say? lol
I would split it up morning and afternoon like we do on armour. Sometimes drs have you take am and pm before bed. If you can find a compounding pharmacy in your area they can put it into a time release formula and you won't have to worry about dosaging twice.
Hope this helps.  :)    
great, thanks for that laura. I was taking 150mcg of t4 in the evening before bed, but was having trouble sleeping, so a few days ago i split it into 50mcgs before bed and 100mcgs in the morning, which seems slightly better. so would you suggest taking the t3 morning and then afternoon? three tablet sesions a day?? is the t3 absorbtion as sensitive to food as t4?  

i definitely like the idea of slow release capsules :)

thanks again,
Owain
my last bloods were just over a month ago TSH was 15 can't remeber t4 and t3, they were in normal range though,

owain
You went hypo then at a 15...where in the normal range is extremely important for t4 and t3. Yes all thyroid meds should be taken on an empty stomach and wait for an hour to eat. I would suggest taking the cytomel morning and afternoon and see how you do.
Let me know how you do. :)
Wow!!!! t3!!! i took 10mcgs yesterday morning then 10 in the afternoon, and 10 thismorning.... i feel amazing!! a bit too amazing really,  i'll probably need to knock 25cmgs off the t4 but i'll wait few few weeks for the t4 increase to settle...
You may not need to knock off the 25 mcgs - in fact my suggestion is to take the T3 as you have been told and get blood work on the Free T3 and the Free T4 prior to knocking off the 25mcgs

This way you have acurate information - so IF you do eventually knockoff the 25 mcgs of T4 you can test after that to to see where your levels changed.

and you can also compare your symtpoms based on the two different ways of taking the meds to see where you felt best.
I am a little concerned about your take on the comment of T3 being 5 to 8 times more potent than T4.

These are two seperate situations and really are not able to be compared.

T4 medication is what it is - it requires a break down - or conversion to produce T3 in your body to balance your system.

T3 meds is the direct T3 being administered as a hormone and does not require any thyroid conversion.

Our bodies produce a certain amount of T3 throughout the day so splitting the T3 med is much better.

You may be saying the ratio you used above with blood testing  - if you take a T3 tablet and compare it to only taking T4 alone on a conversion level.

Your FT3 will show an above range of homone taking direct T3 tablets - vs - not taking any at all.

Since you are now taking a T3 med and doing well - a suggestion when testing would be to ask your doctor to test the FT3 and FT4 thyroid levels and not the basic inbound T3 and T4's.

hang on your loosing me... whats the difference between FT3 and inbound T3???

i read a comparison of administered T3 and T4 somwhere as being 't4 is like food in the fridge and t3 is like food on the plate' ie it the t3 is the metabolit of t4 and gets striaght to doing what its supposed to? does that sound right.... either way its like rocket fuel and the seems to have taken the discomfort out of taking just t4.... one side effect so far is that by about mid day i was feeling really emotional. i snapped at my boss over something fairly minor (whoops....) i took my afternoon t3 about 45 minutes ago and now feel better again... i'm going to try and hang on with changing anything until i get test results in a few weeks. i had a t4 increase only a week ago so that still has to catch up and settle down as well..... this is a bit of roller coaster.... i'm beginging to understand my wifes PMT abit better :) lol

thanks again,

owain