Thyroid Disorders Community
thank you for the g/f discussion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

thank you for the g/f discussion

I just got finished reading through the closed gluten free discussion and want to thank everyone for having it.  I am one of those newbies that some of you were concerned about getting the right information.  I had heard in other places that g/f helps with Hashi's, and it was a board on an alternative health type blog (Mark's Daily Apple).  I found it somewhat frustrating that there was only personal experience to back it up, and the books often cited there were things like "Evil Grains"  "Coconut Oil Will Solve All Your Problems" (okay, these weren't the actual titles, but you get the idea).  That said, I thought maybe going g/f might be worth a try, though I seriously dreaded the thought of it.  I even mentioned in a post on another thread that I might try it (just before reading the g/f discussion).

I'm glad that I got to see both sides of the issue.  Some people have possibly benefitted from it (though it looks as if they have made other positive changes in their life as well), and others have had the opposite experience.  Based on this, and the fact that I don't have any digestive issues or other major problems that would indicate gluten issues, I am going to postpone that experiment until after I've tried conventional methods without success (especially since I'm not even sure what my thyroid issue is yet, or if I really even have one).  

I think it's great that people share their success with treatments, even alternative ones, but I'm also glad people here are willing to call them on it and ask them to provide actual scientific evidence.  It seems like all you hear now is "gluten free" this and "gluten free" that, and after you hear something so much it's easy to forget that you might just want to question it before accepting it as fact.  

That said, it seems there may be a similar issue with testing for free T3 (something was mentioned about it on the g/f thread)?  Again, one of those things I saw mentioned so many times I kind of took it as established fact.  

There is so much information out there, and some of it contradictory, that it's often difficult for someone like me to sift through it and focus on the basics.  The g/f discussion was a reminder to me to do that.  To take it one step at a time and see where I get, making adjustments as necessary.  I guess when doctors can't even seem to figure it out, who am I to think I could?

Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument, definitely not attacking those who shared their success with gluten free, but I wanted to let you all know the discussion was helpful to me.

Thanks!
Thank you for spending the time to give us that feedback.  Patients like you are the reason why members try to make sure that all the right questions are asked, sometimes at the risk of prickly discussions.  I think that Forum members are generally very good at disagreeing without becoming disagreeable.  Of course with disagreement there is always a lot of jeopardy for bad feelings and worse; however, none of us should hesitate to ask questions or present alternative information when it is in the best interest of all Forum members to do so.
Actually there is one more excellent book I would suggest reading:  http://www.amazon.com/Still-Thyroid-Symptoms-Tests-Normal/dp/1600376703
I never seen the old post, but I have hashimoto's that turned "hyper" 10 months ago.  I thought I was getting sick from gluten so I cut it out.  I can't tolerate it at ALL now, but stopping the gluten did not help my thyroid!  I've been gluten free for almost a year.  I wish it did help, but maybe I'm just one of the unlucky ones.  Good Luck with you, and I hope you find the path that works well for you personally =).