Thyroid Disorders Community
thanks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

thanks

not a question - just glad i found this forum.  I have had symptoms for more than 20 years, now I am 61 they have become progressively worse.  The lethargy, apathy, and anxiety haven't change much, but the,"brain fog", certainly has.
I used to have periods of 'clarity', but now the 'fog' is with me constantly.
My new doctor, a woman,  listened to me, and sent me for blood tests right away.  Now, I await the results, and hopefully some relief.
Hopefully they tested for the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and Total T4), along with TSH that they always test.  If the Frees were not tested you should request that and if the doctor resists, then just insist on it and don't take no for an answer.  Free T3 is the most important because it largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate.  

A couple of things you should be aware of is that many doctors have the "Immaculate TSH Belief", by which they only want to use TSH as a diagnostic.  This is wrong.  Others use "Reference Range Endocrinology" and will tell you that a test result that falls anywhere within the range is adequate.  That is also wrong. The ranges are far too broad for all results within the limits to be adequate.  Many of our members tell us that symptom relief for them required that Free T3 was adjusted into the upper third of its range and Free T4 adjusted to around the midpoint of its range.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  

I think you can gain some good insight into effective treatment of hypothyroidism from this link.  It is a letter written by a good thyroid doctor for patients that he sometimes consults with from a distance.  The letter is sent to the PCP of the patient to help guide treatment.

http://hormonerestoration.com/files/ThyroidPMD.pdf

When your test results are available, please get a copy of the lab report and post results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report and members will be glad to help interpret results and advise further.