thyroid & memory loss
My mom was diagnosed with a thyroid disorder and has been on medications for the past few years.  While her memory was always bad, since she has had this issue, it's been really horrible.  Even on the medications, she repeats herself constantly, can't remember much of her past (where she grew up, where we lived when her kids were young, etc.) and doesn't really remember much from the near past.  I know the thyroid can cause memory issues, but could this be something else?  Her doctor has her on the highest meds possible (something which my mom also doesn't remember).  Are there alternative treatments?  Should her memory be this bad with this disorder?
Hypothyroidism does cause memory problems, but I'd certainly want to explore your mother's condition more fully...if properly treated memory problems should not continue.  It's quite possible that your mother is not being treated properly.  Do you have the results of recent thyroid blood work?  If so, please post along with reference ranges which vary lab to lab and have to come from her own lab report.

Which meds is she on, and what's her dose?  Does she have other symptoms as well...weight gain or loss, intolerance to heat/cold, fatigue, constipation or diarrhea, etc?
I just thought I would add some additional thoughts.

Has she ever been tested to see if she converts t4 to t3 well?  If she isnt converting well, it doesnt matter how high of a dose she is on, her body will never get the active hormone of T3 in the right levels and symptoms could persist on even the highest dose of t4 meds only.  Also, it could possibly be another condition such as Alzheimer's.  I am not saying that is the case, only suggesting that it could be thyroid related but it also could be an additional problem.  Please post more details, how much synthroid/levothyroxine she is on, what her lab results are, if the idea of another condition has been explored.
THANK YOU(!) for the info.  I've been at a bit of a loss on how to help her and didn't know what to ask or where to begin.  I'm going to check into the answers of these questions and will post the results as soon as I can.