Thyroid Disorders Community
thyroid and mood swings

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

thyroid and mood swings

I continue to suffer from terrible mood swings despite trying many different medications (the last one for bi-polar disorder almost sent me over the edge), alternative medicine modalities (acupuncture, holistic remedies), yoga, meditation, lots of reading, affirmations, exercise, therapy and what else? I am in the company of positive people and as much as I see the positive and do the positive I cannot seem to shake the doom and gloom attacks, anxiety, depression and constant mood swings.  I also feel so guilty for having these feelings bu my gut keeps telling me it is something physical and my blood tests show normal.  I am on levothyorxine- .1 mg. Can anyone shed any info or help?  Thanks!
Hi, I hear you -- and yes, thyroid is one physical prob. that can cause depression and mood swings etc. When you say your thyroid tests are normal, do you know the actual lab #'s? Doc. can sometimes call them normal & they can be borderline. Maybe you need more thyroid med. if so, but that's a question only doc. can decide.

Another thing to think about would be female hormones - PMS/ menopause type stuff. I have pretty bad mood dips myself during PMS. Maybe an ob-gyn. type dr. could have some insights for you there?

It sounds like you're really trying to keep positive -- good for you. If your gut tells you it's physical prob., it probably is. I know the difficult part is searching for the cause & going to different docs. with your story.

I'd suggest starting with checking the thyroid #'s and then maybe ob-gyn -- just my two cents, for what it's worth...

Take care & good luck with it!
-Megan :)
Hi there,

I had partial thyroidectomey in Jan and ever since then I felt like I was slipping in and out of a depression, sad one moment irrated the next always being hit with the feeling of gloom and dispair! I finally had my labs pulled by my primary doc and my thyroid is underactive, though my endo did a sensitive TSH and said I was normal. TODAY finally I got meds as my endo said cleary my results from my pc was underactive not alot but enough to rock my system to cause these horrible symptoms. I have now developed health anxiety from all this, so please have you labs run  again.. make sure they do a FULL panel not a simple TSH, as that does not truly represent the condition of your thyroid. I start my meds tomorrow only 50 mcg of synthroid, I hope this helps!!

I know how you feel, and it is awful, frustrating and helpless as nothing we can do without meds to fix it!  again have your FULL  labs redone, I hope you start feeling better soon =)

Kelly~
I'm so glad I found this forum because I know exactly how you feel. Go with your gut and get it checked out. I'm currently hyperthyroid but suspect I've been swinging back and forth between hypo and hyper. I wasted 10 years thinking it was all in my head and 1 year on antidepressants that didn't work.