Thyroid Disorders Community
thyroid antibodies and other testing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

thyroid antibodies and other testing

i am confused and wonder if someone might help me sort this out. I eat gluten free diet (as have been diagnosed celiac by high tTg back 6 years ago.)  I am very watchful.  I have high antithyroglobulin 173 (<60 is normal)  and may TSP is 3.36 (they say normal but I see under 2 as preferred).  My free T3 is normal 1.07 (normal .7-1.8)  free T4 3.36 (normal .4-4)  thyroid perox. AB  57 (normal less than 60)  I am puzzled by high folate numbers 17.8(normal 2.8-17)  and very high iodine 280.5 (normal 40-92)   i don't take any!  My selenium is good at 212 (100-240 normal)  

I am puzzled. I am 58 years old.    I also have low slightly low WBC (3.4 (normal 4.8-10.8)  and Mcv and Mch and MPV  all just slightly over high of normal.

Any insights?  I struggle to keep my weight normal.   I do have normal weight, but don't eat much to maintain.  I have many food allergies, so dodge alot of foods.  My recent moods have been low.

I so appreciate help.  MD's don't seem to think much about all this.
Thyroglobulin antibodies (TgAb) are likely to occur after the thyroid gland has been injured or after it becomes inflamed. Known triggers for autoimmune thyroid disease include cigarette smoke, stress, low selenium levels, seasonal and food allergies, sex steroids particularly estrogens, excess dietary iodine, and trauma.

"Adequate selenium nutrition supports efficient thyroid hormone synthesis and metabolism and protects the thyroid gland from damage by excessive iodide exposure."

Dietary wise, brazil nuts contain the most selenium. Depending on the soil, anywhere from 50 - 90 mcg of selenium per nut.  As you do eat seaweed, the odds of the higher iodine serum looks more likely to be dietary based. The only way you will know is to limit iodine and retest iodine serum at a later date.

Typically Hashimoto's thyroiditis involves a slow destruction of the thyroid gland that eventually results in the thyroid's inability to produce sufficient thyroid hormone.  There are studies that shows selenium can slow down the progression of Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

If you have an overgrowth of bad bacteria, probiotic (good bacteria) supplements are recommended.  Digestive enzyme supplements are great for digestion. The proteases (enzymes that digest protein) significantly speeds up healing of ulcers, gastritis, and wounded tissue.
There is a particularly strong connection between celiac disease and autoimmune thyroid disease (includes Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Graves' diseases). Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in the western world.

Causes of high folate serum:

* Vitamin B12 deficiency/Pernicious Anaemia (can cause high or low folate)
* Intestinal blind loop syndrome
* Inflammatory bowel disease (crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis)
* Bacterial overgrowth (can also cause abnormally high serum folate levels  along with low vitamin B12 levels)

Vitamin B12 deficiency is a listed cause of high MCV, high MCH, high MPV and low WBC.

Causes of high iodine serum:

High intake of iodine in the diet or in supplement form
Kidney dysfunction, disease or failure (excess iodine is removed by the kidneys)

Sources of iodine include seafood, table salt, bread, plants, fruits and vegetables, fish and shell fish, dairy foods.

Top 10 food containing Iodine:

Sea Vegetables
Cranberries
Organic Yoghurt
Organic Navy Beans
Organic Strawberries
Himalayan Crystal Powder
Dairy Products
Potatoes
Watercress
Eggs
I have had very high B12 on testing before. (though not recently)  I do eat red meat (free range) I do eat seaweed.  I don't take any iodine supplements. (did try once briefly and just felt terribly wrong).  I do love cranberries, but haven't eaten them much recently.  

I eat a very healthy diet, though not alot of food. I am not overweight or underweight.  I don't seem to need much food to maintain a fair weight.  I eat soups, bone broth, every vegetable, I limit fruit (just bloats me if too much) .  I don't do the "junk food" type gluten free foods. I eat no processed foods. (occasionally a sweet, or corn chip might pass my lips).

I am puzzled about the high iodine. My younger brother has ileitis and my father and grandfather died of Mulitiple Myeloma.  My intestines are very sensitive to many foods and my bowels are reactive (if I eat sugar, too much fruit,  or gluten free crackers).  I don't seem to have problems with good fats (avocado, cultured butter, red meats).  

Do any of you have thoughts about early Hashimotos?   Is my  high antithyroglobulin 173 (<60 is normal) a sign of the start of this?  Is there anything I can do to turn this back?  In reading the site it sounds like it simply progresses. (i doubt i have Graves as i don't have that hyper function, as in weight loss or hyper energy, is that correct thinking?)

I am 57 years old.  Physically active (daily).  I could have intestinal bacterial imbalance and have wondered which tests are the most helpful.  I have heard that

Dr. Dach wrote "Gluten consumption opens the tight junctions allowing the Yersinia organism to pass across the mucosal barrier into the blood stream.  The immune system generates antibodies to the Yersinia which crossreact with the TSH receptors, producing Graves hyperthyroidism.  Elimination of wheat products is eventually curative.  However,  medical treatment with Beta Blockers (propranolol, atenolol) and PTU-type drugs (Tapazole) to prevent thyroid storm is advisable in the short term. "

My doctor seems to only wait until something is way off in lab results.  I so want to do what is best to avoid more serious problems.
Thanks so much for your sharing.  I wonder if you might offer a bit more of your thoughts.