Thyroid Disorders Community
thyroid level question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

thyroid level question

are my levels right if TSH is 0.15  T4 1.10  t3  1.90 ? I just had a retest and am confused why TSH is so low and T4 and T3 are right in range, Does anyone understand all this... Thanks
What are the lab ranges for the Free T4 and Free T3?

Do you have a thyroid history, or is this a new development for you? Have you had med changes or procedures lately? Started a new medication, like maybe birth control pills, or any other illnesses or new meds in the last few months?

Over the counter supplements?
Range for  TSH is 0.35 -4.94 T4 range is 0.70-1.48  not sure of the T3 range as but the nurse told me that I am right in the range on that one too. I am on synthroid 88mcg. The only new med I have taken is Lorezapam as needed for anxiety. I don't feel my symptoms are all anxiety related and that is why I am questioning my Thyroid levels.

My GP told me that my levels are fine but why is TSH so low? He says if T4 is in range then everything is good.

In January of 2006 my TSH was .36 and T4 was 1.24
Actually, without knowing your Free T3 range, I think your's may be a little low. That's just a guess though.

I have to take exception with the statement that as long as your Free T4 is in range, all is well. Your Free T3 is what needs to be in the correct range. That range is much smaller than the lab limit for a "normal" Free T3.

If your Free T3 result is near the top of "normal", then your TSH will be low because you are hyper, regardless of what the lab range says.

OK...lets say your levels are good, and your TSH is bad.

Adrenal or pituitary.

If it was pituitary, your T4/T3 levels would drop below acceptable limits in a short time, a few months at most.

If your adrenal glands are under a lot of load, and cannot keep up, they can lower your TSH. They do it as a protective measure. They send a chemical signal that slows production of TSH, your metabolism slows down, and the adrenals can keep up.

If that is the case, adrenal testing should show a problem.

Your Free T4 is in a range that is ok. It's a little low, but it is sufficient to support adequate conversion of T4 to T3. Your Free T3 SEEMS a little low to me (a guess!). If they are both a little low, then adrenal issues may be the cause.

Gimel started a thread about low TSH and normal thyroid levels in medicated patients. It may provide some insight as it develops.

Adrenal testing may be worth persuing.
Sorry to ask if this has been clarified - but Dawn you keep posting that you had "T4" and "T3" tests

Where AR is stating FREE T4 and FREE T3.

Dawn - there is a difference between a T4 and a FREE T4 test.  That I think may be something to address.

You may need to test the FREE levels of the T's since those are the active hormones in your body allowing conversion to take place with T4 and T3.  The free T3 as AR said is very important and in many patients when a higher range of Free T3 is indicated - the patient should have a lower TSH - but -  may not experience hyper symptoms at all.

The TSH may read in the lower range but some say the are feeling good at that level too.

What symptoms are you having - if any at this time being at your most recent TSH level?

Standard T4 and T3 are inbound hormones that basically sit there in your body and do nothing. They store.

Also the adrenals as AR said was very infomative. If there is an adrenal issue most patients will tell their doctor they are experiencing something that is compared to hypo symptoms - but will also in a majority  - say they have gained weight - especially around the middle of there stomach. The Pooch as it is sometimes referred to.

Usually the adrenal cortisol issues should be looked at in addition to the thyroid tests on the Frees and TSH being off if you are noticing these symptoms too.

My tests are Free T3 and T4. Sorry this is pretty new to me. I have been on synthroid for 18 years and have never had symptoms like this before. My dr. keeps telling me I have anxiety but my TSH levels are all over the place. I had them run antibodies tests too but I haven't gotten the results back yet. My symptoms are lump in the throat feeling, palpatations, nervousness, no concentration, just a jittery feeling all the time.

I'm just wondering if I might be overmedicated a bit. I don't understand how TSH can be so  low but dr. says I am in range. I was in range back in 06 with a level of .36 and now I am in range with a level of 0.15. Is it true that as long as T4 is in range then TSH doesn't matter, because that's pretty much what I am being told. I am the one who asked for the Free T3 to be run along with the other tests because they haven't been checking that. I don't have an endo near me I would need to drive 2 hours to see one and I'm wondering if you think I should do that.  Thanks so much
Doctors are individuals - just like us. Some MD's are wonderful on thyroid help and some are not.

Same applies to "specialists" (endos) On thing to try is call the office and asked simply if this endo is a diabeties specialist or strickly thyroid.

You will find that if they are thyroid endo - you may have better luck with them.

I have just two Md's working with me. One very open to less protocal and the other specializing in bio identical hormones.

I feel both MD's are very helpful putting the picture together and help me in their individual ways to keep me healthy. I bio doc is pretty new - but I think the two doctors are working great for me. I do also have a Chinese med doctor too.
Hi Ar-10

I called the dr. office and got the levels for my Free T3.

This is what I have:  TSH 0.15  (0.35 - 4.94)
                            Free T4  1.10   (.070-1.48)
                            Free T3  1.90   (1.73-3.71)

I understand that you are the one to ask about levels. Can you help with these numbers for me. if my levels are off am I over medicated?
Sorry to be a pain. Thanks Dawn

That's just what I thought.
Your Free T3 is low.
It is within lab limits, but the lab limits stink.
Your Free T3 should be around 3.0-3.3.

I don't know WHY you feel jittery or nervous. You're not imagining it. Several of your symptoms sound like you are overmedicated. You're not.

Your Free T4 is a bit low and your Free T3 is low enough that you should have hypo symptoms.

Adrenal insufficiency is starting to sound more and more possible.

Gimel is a member who has stated that she can only get her hormones in the correct range by ignoring her TSH completely, because when her hormone levels are correct, her TSH is in the hyper range (low). I'm just throwing that out there.

That MIGHT be your problem, except your symptoms are backwards. In your case it sounds like your adrenals are telling your body that your hormone levels are too high, even though they are not.

I would try testing the adrenals.
It may show a problem, or it may not.

I wish I could be of more help.
What is the test for adrenals and what does it show? If my T3 is low then should I be taking more med or am I ok where I am at? I have the lump in my throat feeling all the time. That is a hypo symptom right?  Where do I want my T4 and T3 levels to be?
Adrenal testing...
There is the ACTH stimulation test. I think a specialist has to run that one. There is the blood cortisol test and the 24hr. urine cortisol test. A GP can order those. There is the saliva test, which many patients feel is more acurate and most doctors think is voodoo nonsense.

There is adrenal fatigue, which patients talk about and doctors insist does not exist. You can do a search on that and find lots of info, but not from the medical establishment.

There is adrenal Insufficiency, which doctors treat and the tests will reveal. Unfortunately, Adrenal insufficiency is about two inches away from adrenal failure, and it would be nice if tests and treatments were available to address an adrenal issue before it comes to Adrenal Insufficiency.

You want your Free T4 at around 1.2 or 1.3.
You want your Free T3 around 3.0-3.3.

I don't know what to tell you about your meds. You need more, but your TSH says no. If you have an adrenal problem and you ignore your TSH and take more meds, you will make the adrenal problem worse.

If you don't have an adrenal problem, then you need more meds.
If you have a mild adrenal problem, the tests won't show it.
It's a vicious circle, and I don't have an easy answer for you.  
Thank you so much. This is an awesome site and you are all very nice and knowledgable.
Just to get another reading on your status, I suggest that you also check your body temperature for several days, several times a day and get a good average result for comparison to the reported normal of 98.6.
So I got my antibodies tests back today and my ob wants to send me to an endo. My Tyroglobulin is 1261 and my thyroid peroxidase is 527. does this mean anything to anyone?

Thanks Dawn
It means you officially have Hashimoto's Disease.

Your Thyroid Peroxidase is not too bad, although it is not great.

Your thyroglobulin antibody level is high, but it could be 3,000, so it's how you want to look at it.

Glass half full, or glass half empty?

Your antibody levels are high enough that they are not going to go away. They are high enough to degrade your thyroid performance from year to year, so you will need med adjustments from time to time. They are low enough that you may achieve stability for periods of time.

They probably have no affect on the problems we were talking about up above.
thanks AR

Do I need a med adjustment now? Would this cause the lump feeling in my throat or the palpatations? Is there any other tests I would need? I had an ultrasound done on my thyroid a few months ago and there was a small nodule on it, I was told not to worry about it. should I worry about it and ask an endo to review it. I really don't think these small town dr.'s are that up on all of this stuff.
I think you need to talk to an Endo.

Nodules can grow quickly if they get a mind to, and Endo's are a lot more used to palpating a thyroid and catching subtle anomolies. (squeezing your throat) (choking you! LOL!!)

They could tell by feel whether another ultrasound would be helpful. A GP can do that too, but you have this other issue that is beyond your GP, so I would suggest seeing an endo that does a lot of thyroid work.

Some Endo's specialize in diabetes.
Ask around and find a thyroid doctor.
You may be able to get some help with a referral from your GP, if he/she knows a good Endo. Some Endo's require a refferal from a doctor, some do not.

Maybe you will end up finding an Endo with a good reputation and then your GP will contact them and reffer you. Maybe your GP knows a really good one already.

Is it possible to have thyrotoxicosis and by hypo? I have all the symptoms of that.
Thyrotoxicosis is severe hyperthyroidism without a diagnosis like Grave's attached to it.

It is possible to be hypo, and then develop thyrotoxicosis, but the "toxicosis" part means poisoned by excessively high hormone levels. Extremely hyperthyroid.

It would be a temporary phase, but it would need treating.
Ar
I was looking online for information about being hypo with hyper symptoms and funny thing your post came up. OMG what you have been through.

I have also screamed heart attack on several occasions. Have had every test imaginable and have been given a clean bill of health with the exception of tachacardia attacks on 4 occassions when they did a heart cathetar they couldn't find anything causing it.

Can you tell me what test they ran to for the Hyper side to finally catch it and with my symptoms do you think that might be what is going on with me? This morning is a bad morning for me as my chest is very tight, throat feels like choking, and can feel a lot of palpatations going on.

I was also reading how the thyroid will sometimes go into overdrive and flare up. I guess I am getting a bit nervous about these feelings and of coarse it is the weekend.

Should I reduce my med for today? i don't know if I am overmedicated or undermedicated at this point. What is your take on it all?

Thanks Dawn
You found my journal by searching online?

I'm famous!! LOL!

Thyroiditis is when your thyroid becomes infected and inflamed. When thyroiditis develops, your thyroid output slows down during the inflamed stage. As the inflamation (inflammation) clears, excess hormones enter your bloodstream and you become hyper for a few days or weeks.

Toxicosis is similar, only more severe.

What happened to me is I was diagnosed with a slow thyroid and treated for two years for hypothyroidism. At first it was ok, but then my levels kept changing and I started feeling bad all the time.

I don't think (can't remember) I ever had antibody testing until I crashed for about the third time (heart attack!). The first news I had that a diagnosis had changed was when my new GP ordered tests and told me I had Grave's, not Hashimoto's.

I was treated for two years for hypothyroidism and then suddenly I had Grave's. That diagnosis did not stand very long, but the point is somewhere between my first diagnosis and my second diagnosis, I developed TSI antibodies, and they started competing with my Hashimoto's antibodies for dominance.

If I didn't have a stack of blood tests showing hypo to hyper from week to week, I would not believe it myself.

Then I got stuck in hyper and it got worse and worse, until I had extreme toxicosis, muscle wasting, and a heart problem that has stuck around.

I think it was going on for about a year before it got out of hand and was discovered.

Most people that have Hashimoto's experience thyroiditis from time to time. That's one reason it is important to get basic bloodwork every three months even after your thyroid hormones are under control.

It's also a good reason to convince yourself RIGHT NOW that you are not a hypochondriac, and request bloodwork when you feel bad, even if you think you need to check it but it was checked only two weeks ago.

I have apologized to my GP more than once for acting or feeling like a hypochondriac. After a while the self doubt creeps in and you wonder if these symptoms you complain of are petty or imagined or experienced by everyone and you are just being a wussy.

It's real, it's not normal, and it's happening to you whether a doctor can explain it or not. THAT is what you need to remember if some doctor tries to trivialize your symptoms because they cannot provide a quick answer.

I don't know if you have a condition like mine or not. A TSI test that shows Grave's antibodies when you have a history of hypothyroidism would be a strong clue. Autoimmune Hyperthyroidism never starts out as Hypothyroidism, with the exception of bouts of thyroiditis, which is common with Hashimoto's.

Unless you're a statistical fluke like me and grow a dominant antibody for the opposite disease that you have been treated for.

Your hormones are low. Your TSH reacts to your hormone levels, so it should be high. The fact that all three are low is confusing. Your symptoms could be either hypo or hyper. The palpitations, the anxiety, the chest tightness all could be a sign of either condition.

The jitteryness sounds like hyper. Do your hands tremble when you hold them out in front of you, or when you hold a fork?

Your symptoms and your bloodwork makes me think it could be adrenal related. If that is true, you are actually overmedicated and undermedicated at the same time. Too much hormone for your adrenals to cope with, but not enough hormone to keep your body healthy.

If you are found to have adrenal fatigue, or adrenal insufficiency, your medication would probably be cut back slightly until your adrenals have been treated and restored, and then your thyroid medication would be increased until your hormone levels are good again.

You would purposely be held hypo for maybe six months while your adrenals are treated. You're hypo now, so a little more hypo wont matter.

I don't know what to tell you about your meds. If it's an Adrenal problem, cutting back on your meds would make you feel better.

If it's a pituitary problem, MORE medication would make you feel better. If it's a pituitary problem, I think you would have run extremely low on hormones sometime in the past year, as this has been going on a while.

If it's a mix of Grave's and Hashimoto's, weekly testing is about the only way to catch it. When I had my blood checked weekly, THAT is when all sorts of odd results showed up. Perfect bloodwork as I sat in a wheelchair complaining that I couldn't get dressed without resting. Contradictory test results like you have. Hypo results when the doctor could see I was so hyper he might need a spatula to scrape me off the ceiling. Week after week of hypo, hyper with no medication.

I think you need as many different cortisol tests as you can have run, including a cortisol stimulation test.

A test for TSI antibodies would be good.
Your thyroid med...I can't tell you what to do.
I can't even tell you what I would do in your shoes.    
Maybe you could help me! I just read that you have hashi and graves. I had my Thyroglobulin AB test and came back 393.0 High and Thyriid peroxidase AB high 482.0. The tests were done in 2006 . I did go hyper and for 2 years was not treated until I started to have symptoms this summer. I had pain that went up to my ear and then my eye. The endo ordered a TSH and it  came back 2.29. I also went to the eye doctor who ordered a ct of the orbits and findings were mild thyroid eye disease. As soon as the endo heard that he put me on synthroid 25mg. My last appt.with him I ask to be tested for graves and he did the TSI and that was 154 high? I  asked him if I had graves and he said hashi and graves go hand in hand ? Do I have a high TSI because I did go hyper at the beginning? Or am I like you and have one competing with the other? Thanks
WOW...This is way too much info for my brain to think about.

I do not have shaky hands but I do get very cold and shivery at times.

I have apologized to my GP and his staff lots of times. I have been in his office and the er several times and alway told there is nothing wrong with me. He keeps insisting I have depression and anxiety and is trying to get me to start on an antidepressant. I have become very anxious about taking a new med because everytime I try one it makes me worse. So I THANK YOU SO MUCH for telling me I am not a hypocondriac and that there may be something else going on. I asked my dr. last week if he was 100% sure that there wasn't something wrong with my thyroid and he insisted there was not.

I am going to call my OB GYN Monday and request a TRAB and TSI. What is the cortisol test that I want? I know they will do what ever I ask them to do. They were very impressed that I asked for the other tests and have been self diagnosing myself. My OB told me that she was going to hire me to be her dr. Is the Cortisol test  a blood test?

What test is done to check to see if the thyroid is in fact inflamed and infected? Is there a test for the thyroiditis. I have been having these problems on and off for about 5 years or so. This time it is much worse and the symptoms have been going on steady for about 4 months.

If you do a google search and type in Is it possible be Hypo and hyper at the same time (or something to that effect) you will get a very interesting article on about.com that explains Thyroididtis Flare, Dysautonomia, having hasimoto and graves at the same time etc.

Also on google is your journal. I saw that and clicked on it and read the entire thing, then I came back here and clicked on your name and found it. Being that I am very new here I didn't realize that there was a way to do that so I was impressed to say the least. Again this is a great site and you are all very knowledgable. It makes a person like me very comfortable knowing that others are feeling the same things and have been through it and are willing to help and answer questions for us.

Thank you so much

Dawn,

A TRab and a TSI would be good tests to run.

There are three different cortisol tests that I am aware of.

1) A simple blood test that measures the cortisol in your blood. The time of day is noted and the results are interpreted based on what time of day the blood was drawn. Your cortisol level has a daily cycle.

2) A 24 hour urine cortisol test. You collect your urine for a 24hr period, and take it to a lab for analysis. The amount of cortisol excreted in your urine is measured and a test result is determined.

3) A Cortisol Stimulation Test is a little more complex and I'm not sure if a GP or a Gynocologist can perform it, but it never hurts to ask. You receive an injection of ACTH, I think. I'm working from memory, which is scary. LOL! Maybe it's an injection that stimulates the pituitary to excrete ACTH. Anyway...you are given an injection that stimulates the adrenal glands to excrete cortisol, and then after a half hour or an hour or some set amount of time, blood is drawn and the amount of cortisol in the blood is measured.

It's a poor description of the test, but I'm too lazy to look up the correct details right now.

I think I listed them from least desireable to most desireable, as far as how much they tell you. A basic blood cortisol test may miss a shortage because your adrenals act differently through the day. If you are tested in the morning and you have a tendancy to be low on cortisol in the afternoon, the test won't catch it.

The 24 hour urine cortisol measures a day's worth of activity. It will not register daily highs and lows, just an average.

The Cortisol Stimulation test is probably the most acurate, because it places a specific demand on the adrenals and then measures the response. It removes the guesswork of daily spikes or dips that can slip by the other two tests.

A thyroid Ultrasound can be ordered by a GP or any doctor. It takes images of the thyroid just like an ultrasound does of a fetus (or a heart). Simple procedure. No needles (Yay!). It measures the gland in great detail and looks at it inside and out. It can see pockets of infection or scarring from past infection. It can determine if there is swelling and measure and evaluate any nodules you might have. It can diagnose thyroiditis, or past occurances of thyroiditis.

I googled and found that article. It gives a very good explanation of the various reasons a hypo person may feel hyper.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hypothyroidism/a/hypoandhyper.htm

Your doctor is probably right about your need for treatment of anxiety or depression. The thing is, the root cause is thyroid disease, and treating some of the symptoms does not treat the cause.

I'm taking Alprazolam, generic Xanax. It helps with anxiety, I guess. I hate to think what I would be like without it, because my anxiety can be quite troublesome by times as it is. LOL!! Who knows, maybe I'm addicted to them and they quit working a long time ago.

Anti-depressants often interfere with thyroid hormone levels. My GP and the Endo who treated me the best both told me I was not getting anti-depressants, period. That has been a blessing and a curse. There are plenty of people with thyroid disease who are taking anti-depressants and all it amounts to is their med dosage is altered.

But too many women are put on anti-depressants and told for years that they are imagining other ailments when in reality they had hypothyroidism way back when the depression set in.

Good luck with the OB GYN. They are often knowledgeable with thyroid hormones and sometimes suggest testing before other doctors do. I think you can get several tests run through them that will help narrow down the list of possible problems.

And you're welcome for the "hypochondriac" comments. There've been times I would be sitting in my GP's exam room thinking I was insane and complaining about every little twinge. My GP looked at me the first time I said it and told me I was the sickest patient he had, and if I thought I needed to come see him, he thought I needed to be evaluated.

Annie,

I had a post all typed up after lunch and when I went to submit it, my computer locked up and I lost it.

The post, not the computer (or my mind). LOL!!

The link to about.com is interesting. You should look at it.

Were you tested for TSI antibodies when you had the other antibody tests run?

If you were hyper to some degree for two years, I have to think you had TSI antibodies back then. The Thyroid Eye Disease damage is only found in Grave's patients. Not all Grave's patients suffer TED, but if you do suffer TED, you have Grave's.

It's possible for a Grave's patient to have as many as four different thyroid antibodies, so your 2006 antibody results do not confirm or rule out Hashimoto's.

It's possible that you are in remission.

It's possible that you are experiencing the tug of war or push-pull that is mentioned in the article. That is a perfect description of what I experienced. My cycling back and forth was eratic. Sometimes I was flipping back and forth weekly or daily. I got stuck in hyper for several months. Then I went back to flipping back and forth.

Watch your levels closely. Get bloodwork done six weeks after you started the Synthroid and make sure it is not driving you hyper. Finding out you have TSI antibodies is not a very good reason to start you on Synthroid.

Hashimoto's and Graves go hand in hand, in a way, but not so much. They are opposite ends of autoimmune thyroid disease.

Hashimoto's patients often experience hyper symptoms because of thyroiditis or overmedication, but that is not Grave's disease.

Grave's patients can become hypo from overmedication, but that is not Hashimoto's.

For them to be "hand in hand" is possible, but it's not supposed to happen.

But obviously it does, more often than doctors think.
There is also saliva testing for cortisol, but unless you are seeing a naturopath, the doctor will not order one. Mainstream doctors do not trust saliva tests.

Saliva testing is controversial. You can order a home test kit that is then sent to a lab. Most doctors feel they are not acurate.

Some patients will argue that point for hours.
I'm not getting in the middle of that arguement.

There is also a cortisol test where they put you in the hospital and draw blood several times through a 24 hour period, to get around the problem with the blood cortisol test I mentioned. I'm not sure what that is called. It is thorough, but costly (hospital stay) and a little extreme, so it is not performed all that often.  
Wow.  You are still on here?
Thanks for mentioning that about antidepressants. I had to get off my Lexapro because it kept interfering with my thyroid replacement levels.  
Well I suppose 1st thing monday I will call for the antibodies testing and possibly the adreanal test. I may just have them run the blood test 1st. I don't do real well with stuff being injected into me. I have an allergic reaction to a lot of that.

I have been having terrible chest pain this week. I know my heart is good but it is still scary. What would cause this and is it something I should be overly concerned about?

I am also getting a twinge on the left side of my neck along with the squeezing sensation. Are these all symptoms of Hashimoto?

Are you saying that thyroid causes depression and anxiety? I assume they won't put you on it because of your meds but do you think after you are more stable (if that ever happens LOL) they will put you on them if you need them?

I have Lorezepam but I don't want to get dependent on them so I only take when really necessary. Maybe I should take one and see if my chest pain goes away.

Did you see your journal when you looked for the hypo hyper comparison? Do you know anything about the Dr. that wrote the book they were reffering to. Sounds like that might be interesting reading not sure..

Dawn
Your chest pain is from stress and because your heart is working hard. Try to rest, try to relax. It would be presumptuous for me to tell you to take a lorezepam, but a glass of wine will often get rid of the tight chest for me. Smoking helps, but I don't really recommend it. LOL!!

Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism causes depression and anxiety. The degree depends on the person and the amount of stress and general health.

Your hormone levels shifting makes you both and emotionally fragile as well. Hyper seems to be worse.

I think by the time my hormones get settled for six months I will not need an anti-depressant. I get depressed, and I think in the background there may be chronic issues that need to be delt with, but it's not bad like it used to be.

My anxiety, I don't know. I hope it goes away too. I'm addicted to the Alprazolam, and I'd like to up the dose, because I am not getting the benefit I need from them. But I also want to stop taking them when I can, so upping the dose seems like buying more pain.

I didn't see the link to my journal, but I was on a mission and when I found the link I was looking for I stopped looking. I'll have to update my journal.

I need to look at your link again. It was good information, but I didn't really look to see who wrote it or the other links. That's not one of my favorite sites, so I look at the sources pretty hard. But I thought it was very informative and presented in an easy to understand fashion.
Ok so this may sound like a really stupid question but.. what is the difference between hypothyroid and Hashimoto? I started out hyper then went hypo. For 18 years I have been hypo now this. Is it possible that I have always had Hashimoto but was never tested for it?

One other might be stupid question... you said something about muscle problems. I have been struggling for 5 years with a chronic muscle problem in my right shoulder blade. I have had every test imaginable MRI's Ct scans X rays etc. I have also had 2 surgeries carpel tunnel and ulner nerve. I have been to chiropractors, massage, physical therapy. I have had pain shots, ultrasound therapy, also tried acutpunture once.

Could it be possible this is related in any way to my thyroid?

The question above is because someone asked me and I couldn't really answer properly. The treatment for the 2 is the same right?
Thank you for answering my questions! I know what you mean about the computer locking up I could not get on to the forum for quite a while yesterday. The doctor did not do the TSI test in 2006. I had an US in 2006 and they found a nodule that measures 0.9x0.8. The endo ordered a FNA and the results were Lymphocytic Thyroidits with rare atypical hurthle cell goups. That scared the heck out of me because of the rare atypical cells. I was told I will be watched and have another FNA in 6 to 12 months. Well I went in 6 months because I was concerned. The second FNA was the same but Several of the Hurthle cell groups show mild cytologic atpia and a reactive raparative process is favored. I was told we will just need to get US every year, so far nothing has changed. I will be getting blood work every 6 weeks. I will let you know if I go Hyper! I got kind of nasty when Hyper! My kids would rather see me Hypo! Thanks again, Annie
You likely have always had Hashimoto's and was never tested for it.

Hashimoto's is the most common form of hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is a term that describes the state of being low on thyroid hormones. Hashimoto's is a label that describes a cause of hypothyroidism.

Hashimoto's is hypothyroidism caused by a faulty immune system. It is autoimmune hypothyroidism.

Post partum thyroiditis is one example of hypothyroidism that is not related to Hashimoto's (although sometimes it is). Hypothyroidism can also be caused by poor diet or certain medications. Hypothyroidism can be caused by being born without a thyroid. It can be caused by radiation exposure.

The treatment for Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism is the same. Give replacement hormones, check for vitamin and mineral deficiencies and resolve them, monitor blood levels and adjust medication.  

You probably went to the doctor with thyroiditis, which made you hyper, and as your evaluation progressed you were found to be hypo and then you were treated for hypothyroidism without anyone bothering to find out what made you hypothyroid.

Muscle problems are a common complaint. I'm not sure if chronic problems with one set of muscles can be blamed on the illness or not. HYPERthyroidism leads to carpal tunnel and muscle damage. Fatty lipids are deposited in the muscles and in the sheathing that protects the nerves. That makes muscles less efficient, and causes swelling of the nerve sheathing. The enlarged nerve sheathing causes problems at "pinch points" like in your wrist, and you get carpal tunnel pain from the pressure on the nerve.

If your treatment has been "test once a year" like many get, it is possible that your levels drift up and down and you may have spent enough time slightly hyper to develop carpal tunnel and other problems related to hyperthyroidism.

Carpal tunnel and muscle problems can be caused by many things. It's not really fair to automatically blame carpal tunnel on thyroid disease. Like most of thyroid symptoms, if you look at each symptom seperately there is half a dozen causes for the symptom.
LOL!

You snuck in a minute before me, annie. :o)

I really should start using the "To" box, so people know who is talking to who. I'm bad about not filling it in.

I hope things go well for you. I hear you about being hyper.
My wife can tell when I am hypo or hyper, and she says I get a little short and testy when I'm hyper.

It gets worse than that, but I'm sure your kids know what I mean. LOL!!
I have thyroid problems because of radiation treatment for hodgkins in 1990. I went hyper for a while then went hypo and have been on synthroid since. I was on 75 for a very long time then in 2003 my dosage was changed to 88 which was 2 years after my son was born. Maybe pregnancy caused changes and I have had Hasimoto since then? Is that possible? I have been struggling with these symptoms since around that time.

This is all very interesting to me. You are filled with information. Lots of research huh.

Oh and Annie I am short and testy too. That has been going on for about 4 months now. Absolutely no patience with my 7 year old.
Pregnancy often messes with the thyroid. It is not unusual to develop antibodies during pregnancy, too.

Post-partum thyroiditis is fairly common. It can occur with or without the presence of antibodies. It often develops a few months after pregnancy and then resolves itself, although it damages the thyroid slightly before it clears up.

So when your thyroid was damaged by radiation, that resulted in hypothyroidism after the hyper phase ran it's course.

At some point you developed antibodies, either before or after the radiation damage. Possibly when you were pregnant.

When the antibodies reached a certain level, your diagnosis of hypothyroidism changed to Hashimoto's. In a way, it is a minor detail. Tomaato, tomahto. Your thyroid treatment does not change.

The important distinction between hypothyroidism and autoimmune hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's), is "autoimmune". Once you have an autoimmune condition, you have a good chance of developing another autoimmune disease. That is not a minor detail.

There are lots of them. I never knew there were so many. Names I've never heard of. Sjorgen's (I don't even know what that is), Rheumatoid Arthritis (didn't know that was autoimmune), Lupus, type 1 Diabetes, the list goes on.

Having an autoimmune disease alerts doctors to consider other autoimmune conditions when you go in and complain about achy joints or a strange patch of skin on your face.
Funny you should say that. Since I have been having so many problems I was sent to a neurologist and he ran all those tests for Sjorgens, lupus, ms diabetes, Arthirtis, he also ran test for syphlis (kind of embarassing but the nurse told me they always check for that).

Anyway mine all came back negative. If he ran all those why wouldn't he have run antibodies for thyroid?  That doesn't make sense to me.
I have just been told my level of TSH is at zero.  the other level (I dont know which one is at 1.95.  I have been dragging myself around hard to walk and extremely exhausted can only be up a very short while (hour before I feel I need to lay down again.  My skin is very dry and scaly, (even putting lotion on) I have gained weight lately and I have been not wanting to eat.  I had a lump appear on the side of my neck aobut a quarter in diameter and about 3/4 of an inch hhigh (hard lump, not movable) and feel completely drained.
I do have relapsing-remitting MS but my Ms was stable with my Copaxone.(I know what a relapse feels like and this is something different)
This happend all of a sudden after I developed a sinus infection. I was on z-pak and now Keflex for a total antiobiotic therapy of 3 weeks. I dont feel any better and had run a fever for about 10 days along with diareahha. I constantly feel like ti need to eat for energy, but when I eat, it doesnt help or give me energy.  Please help direct me Thank you