thyroid levels elevated
This is more of a blowing off steam kind of post, but opinions or any insight is welcome. Last summer I requested my primary doctor to check my thyroid due to thyroid issues running in the family. I told my doctor all my symptoms: fatigue, hair loss, blurry vision, heat intolerance and some cold intolerance at times, night sweats, brain fog, hand tremors at times, and weight gain. I also get acne I am not sure tho if that is related though. I have also had brittle hair and dry flaky skin. However my primary doc told me it was all due to me being overweight and inactive. And didn't test me. Instead had me do an eye exam and said the vision problems were due to bad eyesight. I got the exam and I have 20/20 in both eyes, but have blurry vision from time to time. I gave up asking for a while even though I have been feeling badly and tried to lose weight but have gotten depressed to the point of not wanting got do anything. My moods change from happy to angry to crying for no reason. I am not bi polar or anything. I am generally a happy person, but with not feeling well all the time I am very anxious and upset because I felt he just doesn't care about his patients. I had a urgent care doc check two weeks ago and she ran a tsh test only and found my levels were elevated at 4.68, but told me to contact my primary doctor and have him do further testing. I had my results faxed over and asked for more testing and he said he knows they are elevated but he is not concerned and he will test me further in three months when I go to see him for my routine check up.  I feel just pushed aside like its not important. I called him back yesterday and told him I cant wait I want to be seen now and he said want three months. Does anyone here know of a good endocrine doctor in Norfolk, va that I can go to that doesn't need a referral from my primary doctor or just q good doctor in general that I can switch to that will listen to me.  Thanks for taking time to read this.
Oh and just wanted to say that gimel has listened to me and has referred doctors to me before but they weren't taking new patients at the time. But he is awesome and just want to say thanks for his patience and for listening to me.
You can order thyroid tests online without a doctor's order.  FT3, FT4 and TSH are about $85 at helathcheckusa.  Other sites also have tests, but this one has been used by members with good luck.  Also, antibody tests are available -   TPOab and TGab.  I don't know the prices on those.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider ordering these tests online.  If your numbers come back questionable, it's a lot easier to make a doctor sit up and take notice if you have labs in hand supporting your symptoms.

Don't give up on finding a better doctor in your area, but this might be a way to get some relief in the meantime.
Thank u . will look into it.
Okay so I have noticed now that when I eat stuff that I have normally eat and wouldn't upset me it makes me sick to where I have diarrhea. Is that symptom as well?
Diarrhea is usually a symptom of hyperthyroid.  It seems like your symptoms are kind of mixed.  Mixed symptoms can be charasteric of early stages of Hashi's.  
What are the symptoms of hashimoto disease
In the early stages of Hashi's, symptoms often swing back and forth between hypo and hyper.  Once the antibodies do enough damage to the thyroid, we become permanently hypo.

You gan google "hypothyroid symptoms" and "hyperthyroid symptoms" for a more complete list, but here are the most common:

Hypo:  fatigue or drowsiness, weight gain, depression, cold intolerance, hair loss, brain fog, etc.

Hyper:  fatigue and/or insomnia, weight loss, heat intolerance, anxiety, hand tremors, acne, etc.

Tell me if you think you're more hypo or more hyper after you look at the full lists.
I have an equAL amount of symptoms except for I don't have the weight loss. I have weight gain. I just want to feel better and want for my doctor to listen to me. I am tired of being exhausted to The point where I feel like I have been run over repeatedly by a semi truck.
So, you think your symptoms are pretty evenly split between hypo and hyper???  Some people gain weight whether hypo or hyper.  

I think you do need to find a new doctor.  You can try calling doctors' offices and pre-interviewing them over the phone (probably through a nurse).  

I'd also seriously consider ordering the online tests...you'll feel so much better once you do something really positive toward feeling well.  
I always thought I was hypo because of the weight gain. But I have Lots of hyper signs too like diarrhea. I rarely have constipation.
Why don't you list your symptoms for me?  It could end up being a list you can take to your doctor.  Lots of itimes having a list in writing really helps make them take notice.  

I have had diarrhea all my life, so, for me, that's not a thyroid symptom at all.  Even when I was very, very hypo, I was never constipated.  To me, constipation is not hitting the bathroom until after breakfast!!!  I know...TMI.  LOL  
Fatigue, hair loss, weight gain, hand tremors, diarrhea, brain fog, blurry vision, acne, night sweats, heat intolerance and some cold intolerance, dry skin,  mood changes, brittle hair.
Nurse at.my job said diarrhea is not related and is caused by something else. Starting to really worry now. It's not.Tmi I been sharing my symptom with u so. I appreciate you taking time to listen. Thank u so much.
I don't agree with the nurse.  If diarrhea were your only hyper symptom, I'd tend to dismiss it also or say it was caused by something else, but it's not your only one.  Hand tremors are virtually always a hyper symptom.  So is heat intolerance and acne.

I think you should have more testing.  In addition to the two antibody tests I've already suggested, TPOab and TGab, I'd also test TSI, which is the definitive test for Graves'.  That probably means you either have to find a new doctor or order the tests online.
I have an appt with a new doc on Wednesday so hopefully he will be helpful and I would take. List and all your suggestions to him
I'm so glad to hear you're seeing a new doctor.  Best of luck with your appointment, and keep us posted on what you find out.  
So the doc cancelled my appt because he doesnt accept hmo insurance and thats what I had. Called others and got told no openings until may.
Oh, that's so depressing...something has to be done to put the "care" back in medical care.  May is better than never.  Perhaps if you make an appointment you can get on a wait list for cancellations?  

Have you thought about calling your current doctor, telling him how bad you feel and insisting on retesting and seeing him sooner than three months?  I'd still make an appointment for May with a new doctor, but this might help get you through to that appointment.
I have the appointment with the primary doctor in april which is sooner than the new doctor. I called him and told him how I am feeling and he states that all this is die to me being overweight and not active. I want to feel good I dont want to feel tired and lose hair. I have been in a really bad depression and its really affecting my work. Last weekend all I wanted to do was sleep and cry. I dont like to be depressed just wantbto be thw happy person I was before. I was looking forward to going to soctor but the cancellation felt like a huge let down and it was a really bad day. I am going to call my insurance and get a list of doctora that will take my inaurance and keep trying. Meanwhile I got some b12 and vitamin d and hopefully that should at least help with energy. Well thank u for listening.
Have you thought any more about ordering those basic tests online?  (FT3, FT4 and TSH)  Those really could make your doctor sit up and listen.  

The B12 and D should help.
Going  to have to do something.what website can I fond the tests on
Try healthcheckusa.  I know some of our members have used them and were improessed.  There are others out there, too, so if they don't use a lab close to you, see what else is available in your area.
I just sent you a PM with a couple of links.
thank u
Okay I have one question. I have noticed that my body temp for a couple of months has been runnong between 95.1 to 96.8 the lowest being 94.8 this was over a two month time frame. The other day I was sick and took my temperature and for the first time in two months it was 98.5 this waa my normal body temp... What does this mean.
Did you find a new doctor yet? If not, you need to soon.  Your levels are elevated. My levels were near perfect (words from the doctors) and had cancer. Felt like I was going to have a heart attack at time, sore joints and numerous other symptoms. Started having serious panic attacks. If it wasn't for huge cyst in throat, probably wouldn't have found cancer until much later. Keep us posted
Go to the emergency room and insist that they help you. At least they will to a cbc panel on you and will see that your levels are elevated. You cant wait until April
Going to have to starting to get scared. I have also severe stomach pain last two days that comes and goes in waves so not feeling good at all. Thank u
With your elevated temperature (not a fever, but elevated compared to recent levels) and your stomach pain, see your doctor.  It's probably not thyroid related, but it sounds like you might have picked up a bug or something.
My work was quarentined for the same gi.virus.i had last year from work at this time. I believe that I have it again. Out of work for two days ... Going to get to doctor tomorrow and see what he can do for me for the virus and ask gim to check the thyroid since I am there. Wish me luck.
Sounds like you need a new (less germy) job!  LOL

Defintely, good luck...perfect opportunity to ask for more tests.  Doctors find it a lot harder to ignore you when you're fact-to-face with them than in email or on the phone.  Be tough!
Thank u
Stomach feeling a lot better as far as virus. Still Hve some cramping though but not horrible. Still going to doc at my appt today about it and thyroid as well  my body temp is now back to being 96.8 I have noticed too. Is that going to be concidered normal for me from now on.
I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better.  I used to get every stomach virus that was circulating when I was younger.  I think I must have built up an immunity to most because I never (knock on wood) get them any more...one of the advantages of age!  Good luck with your doctor.  Let me know how it goes.
Found out I have the nora virus (think thats how its spelled). Out if work until wednesday. As for the thyroid, doc says its borderline and is going to test the tsh again to see if its elevated more, than will run further testing. Told him everthing I felt and requested all the tests and still no. he said again my fatigue is caused by me being out of shape and not active.
Maybe you could point out to him how hard it is to stay active and get in shape when your thyroid is underfunctioning and you feel like cr@p!

When does he run the TSH again?  If it's not elevated more, I really think you should get FT3 and FT4 tested online.  If you have a lab report in hand, it's hard for him to ignore that.  

I hope your tummy's on the mend...
In april he will retest. Just tired of him basically,saying im fat
Did u get any answers? I'm in the same boat
We haven't seen scaredfemale since this thread.  You will get better attention if you start a new thread of your own and tell us your issues.  Be sure to include any current labs and reference ranges, as well as what type/dosage of medication you're on.

You can start a new thread by clicking the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of this page, type your question, then click the green "Post a Comment" button.