Thyroid Disorders Community
thyroid nodule biopsy result

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

thyroid nodule biopsy result

I have a 2.5 cm nodule on my thyroid that was just biopsied.  The results show no malignant cells, few follicular cells, minimal colloid, and many macrophages.  It said it was consistent with thyroid nodule with cystic degeneration.  The endocrinologist wants to do another ultrasound in 2 months and maybe another fna.  Is there anything concerning in the report that I don't understand?  What do the many macrophages signify?  Do these nodule ever decrease in size or go away?  I thought maybe with the degeneration that it may be trying to decrease.  Since the nodule is 2.5 cm, should I look at having it removed rather than constant ultrasounds and fna's?  Thank you for your time.
Just wanted to add when he biopsied the nodule, he didn't know if he got enough cells due the the "stickiness" of the nodule.  Is that significant?  Also, I didn't feel the nodule before all of this but now I am am bothered by it every second of the day.  If anyone is out there with any idea of how to interpret these results, or has had similar issues, please respond.  Thank you very much.
Hi, I'm sure others will jump in, I'm not sure on that term .. but if they aren't convinced they got the best capture they will try to do another one in 6 mos which I think is prudent.  I wish I could answer your ?'s better but don't have the knowledge.  Cystic is usally good I believe .. if it degenerates I wonder if it can cause other problems (not cancer, but like infection, etc.) but I'm not a doc so hoping others may offer some more advice.  You can also try the expert forum .. Dr. Lupo is terriic.

It hurts most likely due to the FNA .. it remains sore for about a week or so .. that's what I found.

C~
The macrophages are present if there is inflammatory process [can even be due to the viral infection]; I would also recommend to contact the person who studied biopsy sample ad ask if the traces of semi dry blood were present in the sample,just in case
In your case it is most likely that in the past you have had small nodule [adenoma] which undergone proces of degeneration [falling apart due to the inflammation] the debrees of this nodule created larger blister [complex cyst composed from blood [possible] and tissue fragments]
If this nodule has a thick walls, PEI injection can be tried; this may shrink this nodule.
"Thyroid nodules can sometimes contain fluid, which usually collects due to bleeding from the fragile blood vessels in thyroid tumors, so called cystic degeneration. "