Thyroid Disorders Community
thyroid nodule with calcification

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

thyroid nodule with calcification

I am 45 year old women with a 2.6 solid nodule wth small calcificationin my thyroid.  I had a fine needle biospy done about 6 days ago. Waiting.. My neck hurts- even before biospy- surgeon says has nothing to do with nodule. Does the calcification increase my risk for cancer?
I believe it does, but still only 20%, I think.  I am 45 and I just had a TT due to thyroid cancer, if it is cancer, you are lucky, it is very curable, depending on the type of cancer and stage.  Good luck.
I am 43 and thank god for the Mayo clinic went to see them because I had a ultra sound in a small town and they did nothing about it the doctors  at Mayo told me I needed a biopsy right away the ultra sound said calcification with increased blood flow through out  my nodule was also solid  and small and my neck hurt on the right side. the day of the biopsy they called me back in and told me I have medullary thyroid cancer which is not so easy to treat  had a Total thyroidectomy in Oct with neck dissection and am hoping for the best see the docs at Mayo on monday next week and then in Jan. I would suggest you go to someone that is a expert and if possable even the Mayo clinic it is a 6 hour drive for me but I do not care.  They told me Calcification does increase you chances of cancer but also the incresed blood flow.
not sure but my doctor told me i had thyroid cancer from my scan, I have 20 + in my thyroid and had a biopsy today. I got my first tumor 13 years ago and it was benign. The one they biopsied looks totally different in the scan then the one that was benign, it had lots of jagged edges looked kind of like rocks and a different colour, white and grey. The benign one that I had checked years ago was black on the scan with smooth edges.