Thyroid Disorders Community
thyroid numbers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

thyroid numbers

I was taking 60mg of armour and my tsh dropped slightly below .3.  Because of the low number my doc lowered my dose slightly to 45mg.  Now my tsh is 3.57.  I have been losing tons of hair and my IBS has flared up. Whenever I get an IBS flare up it seems as though I lose alot of hair.  Is there any connection with thyroid and IBS and could the slight reduction in my armour have triggered these symptoms?  
deetee
hI,

you need to find the magic TSH no. that works for you.  3.57 is probably too high (it is just outside the new reference ranges).

Armor does tend to suppress TSH in many people taking it.  It would be better if your Doc could look at FT3 and FT4 to see what your numbers really are.  These FT3 and FT4 are the active thyroid hormones.

How did you feel on the higher dose of armor, before the change?

I suspect that the IBS and hair loss are related to hypothyroid. I certainly find that my stomach problems are much worse if I'm hypo, in fact I can use these symptoms as an indicator that I should do some more testing....

Yes, the slight reduction could have triggered your symptoms.  Emphasis to to your doc that you're feeling much worse.  See if you can increase the dose again and then test the FT3 and FT4 in about 6 weeks before seeing what you need to adjust further.