thyroid or depression ????????????? please help !!
my mother has been diagnosed with a under active thyroid and give 25 mcg's of  euthorix she is in a very bad way and they have also said she has depression and in on anti depressants, shes sleeping nearly all the time and when she does get up shes dizzy and feels sick, shes also very confused , shes 55
Euthyrox not euthorix :P
Please post her thyroid test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report and members will be glad to assess the adequacy of testing and treatment.
ok will get them later and post them on here if i can work it out !
It is quite common for women especially but also for men to be diagnosed with depression when it really is low thyroid condition.  Dr's are seemingly quick to prescribe anti-depressants but loath to test for Free T3 and Free T4 or believe that depression symptoms are associated with low Thyroid.

I think it is a pharmaceutical conspiracy.  They can make more money selling 6 drugs to cover (not cure) 6 different symptoms than a single drug that cures the source of all 6 symptoms!

So it is possible that getting the Thyroid levels in proper order MAY solve the depression like symptoms.  It is however possible that depression is truly present in which case that has to be dealt with as well.

It all depends on how sick/depressed she is.  But I personally wouldn't like taking mind and mood altering drugs as a first step.  I would try to be patient and wait for the Thyroid meds to start to work.  This may take up to 6 to 8 weeks.  In which case another increase may be in order.  So it could take some time.  But if the depression like symptoms lessen as the thyroid meds start working, then you can put some more faith in that response.

But again, depression can be very serious and I do not mean to imply that it should not be considered.  That is between you, your mother and her Dr. and just how deep her depression is.  I just wanted to give you an opinion to consider.  I'm sure there are many other opinions to weigh as well.  Consider them all before making any decisions.  that is just good logic.