thyroid problems and pms
I have been experiencing a pattern of symptoms ( for 3 years) about a week before my period starts I get a feeling that I have something in my throat.  I have been told that since I have GERD it is just a sensation that there is a lump.  I have tried to accept this as the cause but when it gets to bothering me I will swallow a glass of water large gulps and feel it move down and then it seems to be in a place where it is not as noticeable.  I don't have pain but when it is up high it is  not a pleasant feeling.  Do you have any idea what it could be and should I see a specialist at this time and which specialist...gastro., endoctrio. ??
Hi, It could well be GERD, I get that and feel like there is a lump amongst other things. Have you tried omeprazole it's really good for GERD. You could ask to be referred to a gastro for further investigations and to confirm possible GERD. The lump could also be due to pressure from your thryoid if it is enlarged. Have you asked your doc to check you for this? If it does turn out to be thyroid related, then you would need to be referred to to an endo. In any case, I would go back to your doc and get yourself checked over properly and see what he cums up with. Good luck.
My goiter used to cause me to belch after drinking water. The bad part was how it made me feel like I was choking, especially when I was trying to go to sleep. I don't know what your problem is, but for me it became a mental illness of its own--this preoccupation with this thing in my throat that was choking me. I used to think I would suffocate during my sleep, etc., and all of this added to the anxiety. Can a goiter some times grown inward instead?
  I do have GERD and have been on prilosec, aciphex, zantac and I stopped all of them as it was not making a difference. It's just odd that it comes and goes with my cycles...&$!*!% hormones!!!  I had some blood tests to check thyroid and it all checked out normal. I had trouble with a hiatal hernia and possible ulcer about 3 months ago but that seems to be under control. I was given carafate so I may start that again. It's a hard one to get all the dose's in on an empty stomach.
  I have always wondered about goiter or thyroid nodules growing inward too. I guess I'll ask.  I may bypass my primary doc and get an appointment with the doc who diagnosed my gall bladder problem.  He was right on the diagnosis and I can't believe I put up with that problem for probably 7 years.  They kept checking for gall stones but my gall bladder just wasn't functioning (10%).
I thank you for your input and I know I need to tweak some lifestyle habits some more and definitely lose about 30 lbs. Just thinking about trying to lose weight fatigues me!  
I've been wondering what the hell that feeling was too! Sometimes it makes me light headed, like its cutting the oxygen off. I keep trying to swallow to get rid of it, but it just won't go away. I've been wondering for awhile if it was my thyroid. I have most of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but the blood work comes back negative.

Also does anyone else have night sweats? My list of symtoms says reduced or excessive sweating, not night sweats.

Rite760- Is the specialist for thyroid disorders an endo DR?
Yes the specialist for thyroid is an endocrinologist. Also, I have had all the symptoms of thyroid disease for a year with normal blood results, and it is only now that they are starting to show up borderline hypo. They swing back and forth between normal and hypo so I can't have treatment until it settles. But I was told by countless docs it was all stress, which was so upsetting and without the help of the people here I wouldn't have had the strength to keep fighting to be heard. Also, I'm going through a premature menopause at the same time and get a lot of night sweats with that too. So I don't know if this could be a possiblility for you two. To find out ask your doc to do an FSH and Oestrogen count on you to see if you are menopausal. Also ask for repeat thryoid tests at regular intervals, for I know more than anyone how long it takes for this disease to actually show up in your blood even though you have all the symptoms.
I guess I need to find an endocrinologist. I live in a small town, with small town doctors. The don't like to think outside the box. So I have IBS that seems to be based around my cycle. The pain is ovulation. I kept telling them I don't think it's IBS. When I read hypo symptoms I could've screamed.  I've been having alot of symptoms of early meno too. The only weird thing is it seems to come and go. I had alot of night sweats and mild heat flashes last year . Then they seemed to stop, and now they are starting again.

Thank you for the info, I'm so tired of being tired. I want to feel the way I did 3 years ago.
When diagnosed with Hoshimotos' Thyroiditis, an auto-immune disease, where the anti-bodies that are suppose to protect the thyroid some how have the wrong messege and begin distroying the thyroid instead, thinking it is an enemy.....  

Well, my question is:  After a complete Thyroidectomy, what happens to the elevated thytoid anti-bodies now that the thyroid is gone?  Do they start attacking and distroying something else?  

I asked my surgeon, he said, "I done know, that is a really good question".

no your antibodies will always always be there why are they removing it?

yes it is probably gerd. I have been diagnosed as well. omperazole was the best one that worked for me as well.