Thyroid Disorders Community
tingling in hands and feet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

tingling in hands and feet

hI, How many of you experieince tingling and numbness with thyroid issues? I've been going through this for about two weeks on and off. I have an appt with a endo in early July but seeing my gp this afternoon.

any suggestions? JKV44
Hi JK,

I've been experiencing this also within about the last month or so, among a variety of other - I think - thryoid related issues.  I've been hyperthyroid for 8 years and only recently have started to experience this issue too.  It's strange...not sure what is different now than before - I, too, will be seeing my endo tomorrow actually.
Yep I have it too!  I have Hashimoto's and I guess it goes along with it (amongst a million other things!).  Mine happens in my arms, hands, legs, feet and even in my head, now isn't that lovely!!!!!
thanks for commenting. At this point, feel like I'm losing my mind with this. Do you have muscle aches as well. I swear~if it's not one thing, then it's something else.

What do you take for your thyroid?

Do you ever get really sad because you think you will never feel better? That's how I am feeling today.

JKV
Hello!
I had experienced this BAD when I had surgery for hyperparathyroidism and my calcium levels were low. Buzzing EVERYWHERE, muscle cramps/ aches, also "unstable" bowels...when the levels would begin to drop, I could always feel the tingling in my fingertips and lips and chin first. I had a similar experience when I was hyperthyroid as well, but not as severe. Have your blood calcium levels (called ionic calcium) checked. if this is the cause, an excellent supplement is calcium citrate (I had to take 4 grams/day until the symptoms were relieved)..Oh, also, have your vitamin D levels checked. if you aren't absorbing/getting enough vitamin D, the calcium will have a tough time absorbing...Hmmm..One more thing on the calcium thing. Except for the calcium citrate (already acidified), the calcium needs a high acid environment (your stomach) to be converted and absorbed, so if you are taking acid-blockers, be sure to use the citrate version and take it opposite of when you take the other medicine...Well, I hope this helps. Nope, you're not crazy.(((HUGZ))))~MM
I can totally sympathise with you.  I cry daily and have even comented that I just want to die (no I am not thinking about suicide) because I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel that eveyone keeps talking about.  I am miserable and I want my life back!  I never knew the thyroid controlled so much!  I was originally started on synthroid but didn't do so well so my endo stopped it for 2 weeks to get it out of my system (spiralled downhill fast) and just changed my meds to Levoxyl.  Today is only day 3 so I have a ways to go to get ANY benefit.  I also have to start out slow due to many hyper symmptoms so I am starting over at 25mcg then will increase to 37.5, 44, 50, 62.5 ect all over 4 week periods. I have the muscle aches and pains as well.  I feel like my legs weigh 500lbs and it hurts to walk.  My arms are very heavy and weak as well.  Let me tell you that if I listed all my symptoms you would probably think i was crazy, lol!  What type of thyroid condition do you have and are you on any treatment?
Hi Dani,
thankds for responding. i have a different list of symptoms depending on the day. I  made a list so I can show my GP today. I feel like you do as well sometimes. Yesterday felt ok but today am so tired and my ribs ache.

I'm currently on short term disability until this gets straitened out. I'm not currently on anything until I see the endo, Can the GP prescribe meds for thyroid as well.

Anyway, i'm here for you if you feel like crying on my shoulder. JKV44
thanks for responding.So, the calcium citrate can this be purchased at a vitamin store? I might get if it works. The tingling in my hands and feet kept me up all night. What a killer.

This forum is nice and extremely comforting especially when there are people who are going through the same issues.

At times, I feel like it's just me going through this ****. I hope once on the meds, will feel better somewhat.

Write soon, jkv
Yes your GP doc can prescribe meds.  Mine started too but I felt more comfortable with a specialist.  If you haven't already make sure they test your TSH, Free T4, Free T3 and antibodies.  Probably a good idea to also check a CMP which will look at your calcium and also a Vitamin D level.  I had those checked as well because of all the tinlging and numbness but my levels were normal.  Good luck at the doc and let me know what they say!  I am always here for you too!!

Danielle

Boy, can I relate to all your symptoms.  I've had them all.  I would wake up with both my hands totally numb.  That has stopped.  I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid in December.  It does take awhile to feel better.  I've been on tapazole and toprol, and I'm finally getting there, but I've had setbacks.  There were times I was so frustrated I just wanted to take out the thyroid.  It does get better, but it is a journey.  I went through about 2 weeks of being so depressed i could hardly stand it.  The emotional highs and lows are all part of it.  Try vitamins (with no iodine), yoga (I know exercise is hard because your muscles ache and you have no energy, but yoga is soothing) and just communicating with other hypers who understand.  Hang in there.
Hey,
went to the gp today and was telling her about my tingling limbs, numbness. She said well all your tests look normal. Perhaps you should see a psychiastrist. I said why?? I'm not crazy a little sad because of this roller coaster of symptoms. She was no help at all and said well you are seeing an endo next week and a specialsit. I couldn't believe I wasted my time even going to see her. Three cheers for the HMos of america.

I was so disheartened when I left the office today. At this point any news I hear would be good news so I can go back to the GP and say "HA" look, I'm not crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for being my sounding board. I'm here for everyone always. I'm always on line late due to my inability to sleep. Janice

.
thanks for commenting.

I'm going to try Yoga tomorrow. At this point what have I got to lose right!!!!!??????

I'm ready to take the journey. I just can't wait to get some results and get on meds. My GP was a total joke today. She totally dismissed all my symptoms which today was the numbness and tingling that kept me awake all last night.

Thanks for all your support an an here for you if you need help anytime. Janice  

Janice,

After being induced into Hashi He// I started having a lot of strange symtoms (symptoms), including numbness, tingling, burning sensations all over my body. Both my endo and GP did not think it was all thyroid related, did TONS of other tests for low B12 (which can cause these symptoms) and other autoimmune diseases. It got to the point where I was being worked up for MS, had brain MRI and a spinal tap, which (happy dance!!) was negative for MS. I was taking mutlivitamins, my calcium and B12 were normal, etc. I'm 4 weeks post total thyroidectomy and now ALL of those symptoms are gone...so I have to believe it was all thyroid related.

Sandra
Your not crazy!

This tingling can also be related to your other post I answered. Hypo effects muscles. A lot of hypothyroid people have these issues.- can be related to muscles, since tight, knotted muscles can pinch nerves. If a doc only looks at the nerves, they might really need to look at the muscles, which may be tight from hypo thyroid. A pinched nerve in the neck or shoulder from a chronic muscle knot can cause hand numbness. Tight back muscles can cause a numb and tingling foot. Called referred pain. So, a doctor may say you don't have carpel tunnel even though your hands tingle/hurt.

I also listed vitamins to help this when answering your other post.

This can sometimes be quickly relieved by a massage therapist (or yourself) searching for the tight muscles that are causing the pinching.

For me in the long run, the addition of T3 seems to help in that area, just T4 (was on it for ten years) did not help my hand tingling at all.
My arms go numb all the time. Sometimes my legs, but usually the arms and hands. Especially when I'm sleeping (well falling asleep). I'm not sure if I have hashi's since I haven't been to my endo for the rest of my test. I'm not even on medication yet...just found out I'm running hypo in May and my GP is a stubborn butt head who refuses to treat me b/c my TSH is not a 10 but is basically a 5. Gah. But like LazyMoose said, hypo affects muscles so I am not surprised by this symptom however, I can't wait for it to go away. Hang in there!
Morning,
I'm running on hypo mode as well and my gp is stubborn like yours. When I pointed out my fluxuation in TSH levels she said well that happens sometimes. I also pointed out that my TSH level was almost 6 in March she didn't say a word. She did say that my vitamin d was a bit low and wanted to wait a while and then retest me to determine if I needed any shots etc. I think with a HMO you need to be dieing before they intervene.

The vitamin b12 really helped wtih my numbess in hands and feet. My doctor also recommended taking grapeseed extract daily.

When is your appt with the endo? Mine is next week. Janice  
I'm sorry your appointment was a waste of time.  I am having that problem too rearding some equilibrium problems I am having.  Was told by doctors it can't be thyroid realted and guess what?  My edno said Oh Yes It Can!  Why do these people go to school for so long if they don't know anything?  It is very frustrating.  I have seen sooo many doctors for different problems and all the testing is negative EXCEPT for my thyroid.  Hang in there!  When do you go the the endo?
You had a total thyroid removal? How long did you have to suffer with all those hypo symptoms before the removal? Was it a tough process?

I have different symptoms daily. Yesterday I was so tired that I slept most of the day on the couch. I went to the pool just to get out of the house. It was good and even fell asleep. I walked back home which was only a short distance and was wasted by that little effort.

i don't know about you, but have become somewhat of a hermit. The reason is that I'm not sure how my body will react when I go to far from home. It's almost as if I have a panic attack.

I look forward to the day that I can feel better and leave and enjoy my life again.

Janice
Dani,
go to the doctor July 2. Boy, I can't wait til then.

I also had so much testing done and everything except for the thyroid came back with some elevated levels.

Talk soon. Janice
Good luck and keep me posted.  And just so you are not feeling alone on this, I too tend to stick close to home because I am ALWAYS afraid of what "might" happen when I go somewhere.  Hugs!!

Danielle
It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this. I sometimes think it's just me.

My fiance thinks that when I have these somewhat of a panic attack it's because I don't want to do something. Not so!!!!!!!!

Take care and if you ever whant to chat,,,I'm always here.

Janice
Hiya!
A thought...since the thyroid levels came back normal, have you had a PTH (parathyroid hormone) level done? the docs don't ususally test for this, and hyperparathyroidism can go unchecked for years wreaking havoc on your system until it gives you a heart attack or stroke...Go to Parathyroid.com and check out the symptoms. The only thing the parathyroid glands do is control your calcium levelsin your blood. Too low, and you get mass tingling/buzzing and muscle spasms. Too high and you get headaches, heartburn, fatigue, anxiety, racing heart ("anxiety attacks"), kidney stones, frequent urination, gut pain and constipation, muscle bone and joint aches, chronic back/neck pain, etc...sound familiar? I had all of this plus menstrual irregularities, and low blood sugar problems...Oh, gall stones too. great, huh? the good news is, if it is HPT, there is usually a tumor on a p-thyroid gland causing the trouble (very rarely cancerous) and after it is removed, "Poof" all systems return to normal! Within hours after my 30 min surgery, I alrady felt a difference. It's pretty amazing...Check it out, my condition was misdiagnosed for 4 years....~MM