Thyroid Disorders Community
tingly numb throat and tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

tingly numb throat and tongue

Going back to the ENT today because of this.  Anyone have this with their thyroid swelling?  The nurse called me back yesterday and told me the dr wanted to see me.  I had this before and he did not react this way.  I woke up with it yesterday morning.  Took 2 aleve after lunch time and it eased.  Today, it was not there when I got up, but its there now.

STRANGE.  Just want it to stop and don't want it to be labeled anxiety.  I KNOW what that feels like and this is not it.
My close friend had that very same symptom and it ended up being a vitamin D deficiency.
I had those symtoms (symptoms) as well when I was having trouble with the submandibular gland.
I get numb tongue too!! Once it was really bad and I took some Calcium and it helped. The other day I found out I'm low in vitamin D and wonder if this is also why.

It's weird.
No answer for it and he asked me if I ever had the chicken pox and said it could be the start of shingles.  Whatever.
I don't understand the notion (did I spell that right??) that my one sided tingle / numb feeling in the tongue and throat could be the start of shingles.  I don't think this is a rational explanation from my ENT and now I don't know if I should fill the script for the antiviral.  Its Zovirax.

Stumped here again. Suggestions??
I had the same thing as well and I also had a vitamin D deficiency. It seems to have stopped now that my levels are in the normal range. Coincidence? Don't know.

My mom had shingles twice in one year and I don't remember her saying anything about her tongue BUT she did have tingling/numbness in her face and sores on her forehead from the shingles. It could be possible.

Can you see your PCP about it and get a 2nd opinion?
thanks for that bn -- I refuse to go back to my pcp - he keeps trying to push previcid on me for stomach acid that I don't have and has twice given me moral lectures on the use of an IUD.  I have only seen the man 3 times and won't be going back to him.  He is ridiculous.  LOL - I did have the iud removed, but still don't have excess stomach acid, so I feel sure he'd be a waste.  LOL - such a waste of a medical license!  

I have some calcium tabs with vit d and I guess I'll start taking those.  My scalp is kind of itchy, hmmm.  There's no sores / blisters though.

My ent did check for that Cheslov (I am sure I did not spell that right!!) sign - for calcium deficiency, but did not say if I reacted.  Guess I didn't.

Hi, thanks for replying to my post about sjogren's. And you know it could be related to it your mouth and throat problems. For the very first symptoms I ever got before the extreme drying out became unbearable, was a very sore mouth and throat, tightness and burning, tingling too. Then it moved to my eyes, and then everywhere else. Sjogren's is another autoimmune disease and could be a possiblility for you. It is very hard to detect in the early stages however, it has taken 2 years for me to get diagnosed as it creeps in on you slowly. But it might be worth you mentionning it to your doc. Hope this helps.
Get the vit D tested - the tongue will be effected with a deficiency - along with a possibility of a zinc disturbance