Thyroid Disorders Community
tongue swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

tongue swelling

My sister went through a period of time when her tongue kept swelling and she thought it was b/c of an allergic reaction to something in her diet, which ended up not being the case. It remains a mystery why this happened. She does have hypothyroid and I am wondering if lip and/or tongue swelling can be a symptom of thyroid issues.
If you look at my profile, you will see a picture of my tongue.
Does hers look like that?
I am hypo, but have been treated since September, yet my tongue is still large.
I am switching to Levoxyl from Synthroid next week to see if the Synthroid is the reason.
What med does your sister take?
she lives four hours away from me and I never saw her tongue when it was swollen, but I have a hunch that it wasn't as swollen as yours is. She is taking the generic for synthroid and will be switching to the brand name for her next refill b/c of her breakthrough symptoms. I told her about the generic vs. brand name thread here and she is hoping that switching to Synthroid will help her. BTW, I am pretty sure that this swollen tongue thing she had going on was proir to her being treated for hypo.
Has she been checked for low B12 levels?
Mzzchief
hmmmm, I dunno. I'll have to ask her. Can that cause tongue swelling?

Her doctor eventually told her it was from anxiety - isn't that something?! Seems like a lot of doctors love that diagnosis, don't they? Why aren't they aggressive in finding out the cause for our symptoms? I just don't get it.We can uncover all the info and research in the world about something, but all too often we get to "talk-to-the-hand" and are treated like we are hypochondriacs. My doctor wouldn't treat me until I was over the 5.5 normal guidelines. She watched my numbers slowly creep up and my symptoms became unbearable. Then, BAM! I hit the magic number (and was up to 7.9) and she finally treated me. Before her, I went to two other doctors and they were the same. Just a pat on the head and a script for anti-anxiety drugs.

My current doctor said she has to do it that way - strictly by the book - because so many of her patients ask her for thyroid meds when they are still in the "normal" range. humph.

Ya, but what she didn't tell you was that the book she was going by was written by the Marquis de Sade.

Normal was revised in 2002 by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists from .5 to 5.0 to .3 to 3.0. Most endos consider optimal between 1.3 to 1.8.

You have my sympathies and my advice which is "run ".

: )
Mzz
aaawwww, gee. You just answered the question I just posted. So, how do we present our doctor's with this new info so we don't turn them off? The doctor's I have seen don't want to be told anything. Is there official literature from the A.A.C.E. that I can have sent to my doctor so it doesn't look like I am trying to tell her how to run her practice?
...and another thing - my 11-year-old daughter's tsh was 3.46 so we saw an endocrinologist at children's hospital in Cincinnati who patted us on the head and said her weight gain and other symptoms are not related to her thyroid. He is going by the old range and said she just has to "eat less and excercise more". Where do we go from there? any ideas? I'd hate like heck for her to go through what I did.
My former PCP also said my swollen tongue was anxiety.

I said I don't think so. She asked me why. I said because I am on Lexapro and Ativan right now for anxiety. She got all flustered and said oh, let's go over your med history!

She shut up after that!

Geez.

She also emphatically stated I didn't need iron supplements with a ferritin level of 9 and 14!