Thyroid Disorders Community
too low a dose of dessicated thyroid/when to increase

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

hi there: started on 1/4 grain dessicated thyroid along with BHRT. already improving after 2 weeks, body temp has risen, less fatigued, baggy eyes starting to dissapear same with joint pains and skin is beginning to produce oil! I also have low cortisol in the am/daytime but this has been improving in the last few months. how long before I know if this thyroid dose is suficcient, because I still have not reached a normal temp in the afternoons. but it definitely has risen from an average of 97.6 to 98 and sometimes even 98.2.(before taking the meds I was sometimes 96 in the am!. so good improvement since taking thyroid and bi-est + progesterone. pls advise if I should be asking doc to increase now or at what time in the future. I will see him in another 4 weeks time.. I suspect he only gave me such a low dose to see if adrenals could cope. apparently they are, I feel much better, but not great yet. hands and feet still cold at times, (except during hot flashes, those are diminishing though) my body temps were dropping after exertion a few weeks ago but this has also improved greatly. after a mild workout or 20 minute powerwalk it drops a bit to 97.6 or so but climbs back up within an hour. this I believe is normal. so do I stick with this dose of erfa thyroid or do I ask to use more?
Some have increased after a couple of weeks on desiccated thyroid medication; however, that would have to be a decision made by your doctor.  

It's customary to retest (TSH, Free T3 and Free T4) at approximately, the 6 week mark to see where your levels are determine an increase, because it takes the T4 in the medication, that long to build in your blood and actually bring your levels up.  
thanks for your comment. in my case its T3 that I need not T4. apparently due to low adrenal I have trouble converting...hopefully this will improve after a longer time on meds and balancing hormones.
T4 is converted to T3, so you actually need it, as well.  Many of us do not convert properly (most conversion takes place in the liver), so we have to supplement with additional T3; you still have to let the T4 build in your system, so you have something to convert.

What are your actual thyroid hormone levels? Please post them, so we can better assess your situation.  Be sure to add reference ranges, since those vary lab to lab so must come from your own report.

Are you being treated for adrenal insufficiency? Adrenal issues, should be addressed before thyroid.
I am being treated for adrenal dysfunction conservatively - with Wilson Adrenal supplements, there are 4 kinds, two are vitamin types and slow release C and bioflavonoids, one is a glandular adrenal (it smells gross) and the last is a liquid herbal with licorice, ashwaganda, maca and siberian ginseng. apparently this herbal formula helps reset the HPA axis?  I also take 500 mgs L tyrosine powder I feel it gives me energy and I need all I can get!  I have figured out that I feel worse the day after I exercise(and I barely do more than a 30 minute walk since March), before this i used to do heavy duty cardio interval training , rowing and bodybuilding...
Here in Canada it is not customary for test results to be given to patients, they make you pay to release them. this new specialist I wont see till mid July, I will ask him for the results then. I do know that it all started with a hormonal imbalance and overtraining at the time of Menopause. I'm 2 years post, age 51, 26% bodyfat, have not gained any weight as I have been eating less since March. I used to be type 2 diabetic 3 years ago but I lost 112 lbs and reversed it. then I got crazy with the exercise as Menopause hit and my middle was spreading...if I had gone to the hormone doc then I could have been spared all this...at least I am improving and its only been a couple of weeks since I started treatment. before seeing this doctor, I did research on the net, used thyroid friendly supplements , licorice tea, I rested a lot, cut caffeine...oh, and I have low ferritin all my adult life, am on poly iron, but it seems to hang around 37 to 40 and never gets any higher ...I eat red meat 4 times a week and iron rich foods daily...