Thyroid Disorders Community
tsh level question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

tsh level question

My thyroid levels were recently checked.
my TSH level was 0.14, the lab said it was hypothyrodism- I am confused how does this work? Is that level bad, or should it be treated with meds?
0.14 looks hyper, not hypo, two very different conditions. However, how do you feel? Any other tests? FT4/FT3?

:) Tamra
Hi.

That is exactly why I am confused. My cardiologist ran the blood work on me, and called me and told me to take it up with my PCP. The level they got back was on my sTSH 0.14(L) normal is .40-5.00
they didn't test the Ft4 this time, the last time that was checked it was .94

I have NO idea what any of this means!!! I need help with it :-) I see my PCP next Tuesday and this is driving me nuts... I am supppppppppper tired- no energy what so ever, I also have PCOS and high cholesterol and borderline diabetic.  I was just trying to get a feel of what's going on so I know what to ask.

Thanks for your input!
Before I accepted any diagnosis I would insist on testing for free T3 and free T4.  These are the actual, biologically active thyroid hormones that affect metabolism and many other body functions.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by many variables and is not a good diagnostic for thyroid problems.  It is only an indicator, and needs to be considered along with patient symptoms, and FT3 and FT4 levels, before making an informed diagnosis and prescribing meds.  Most doctors would say that your TSH level is indicative of hyperthyroidism; however, that is not generally consistent with symptoms you have mentioned.  Free T3 and free T4 results in the lower end of their very broad ranges, along with your symptoms, might instead indicate hypothyroidism.  That's why you need FT3 and FT4 testing.

I think this link will give you some worthwhile info and help clear up some of your questions.

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html
She was seeing a cardio doc and not an endo, and I think that's why he only ran TSH. Too many docs still rely on just TSH to determine what's going on with thyroid. When they start selling ad space on the moon, I think we should pool our money together and buy an ad telling all docs, DO COMPLETE THYROID LABS, NOT JUST TSH!!!

Mandi, considering that you have hypo symptoms, despite your low TSH, you need to demand an appointment with an endocrinologist and get all of the necessary bloodwork.

FT4 of a .94 is on the low (hypo) side. Usually, that goes with a high TSH, not a low TSH. However, sometimes we end up with weird numbers.

I suggest asking for this bloodwork:
TSH
FT4
FT3
Anti-TPO
TGab

:) Tamra
wow you just totally described me. i'm at .94 but all the syptoms (symptoms) you have i'm beginning to think the docs are wacko, not me lol
I doubt that yhou will reach mandiclearwat79 since this thread is so old.  If you would like comments from other members. please post your thyroid test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report.