Thyroid Disorders Community
vertical nail ridges

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

vertical nail ridges

what's up with deep vertical nail ridges? and what are they a sign of? is it parathyroidism too?
I have low vit d3 levels and low thyroid. I am now being tested for parathyroid but only after insisting on it because this is the second time in the past year my vit d level dropped under 15. The bone pain in awful. This time around I have it in my right leg and thumbs, last time pain was across my upper back and thumbs as well as other bone locations on the body. Silly isn't it? but very painful and depressing.
The ridges are a sign of hypothyroidism.  Having no moons on the fingers is also a sign.  The ridges and cold feet are the only thyroid symptoms I still have, though the ridges aren't as bad as bfore.
Hi, strange that you ask that question today because I have been trying to it out as well all day.

I have ridges on all my nails running lengthwise.  When I first was dx as hypo (last Sept) I didn't have it on all my nails but it has gotten worse over the last year.  I also have low ferritin and have read that it can indicate iron deficiency.  It seems to be linked to alot of different nutritional deficiencies unfortunately.  I haven't had my Vitamin D checked but with the way things are going it wouldn't surprise me if it was low.

Good luck getting your Vitamin D up!!
Yeah, I have the deep ridges, and only 5 moons showing. Last year I had one moon.

It's got something to do with hypothyroidism.
Not sure what the exact cause is.

Vitamin D deficiency is common with hypothroidism, too. I was taking twice the minimum daily whatever of vitamin D for over a year in multivitamins, and I still tested deficient. I'm taking a daily supplement now of D3, along with two multivitamins.

I don't know much about the parathyroids, so I can't say if that may be aggravating the vitamin deficiency or not.

I hope you are feeling better soon, matd22.
I have ridges too, I can go for weeks with clear nails, then when my thyroid swings from normal to borderline hypo I get a deep ridge across my nail. Mine is horizontal though, so don't know if this is due to the thyroid for sure in my case. But it is weird it happens whenever my TSH goes up.
I have vertical ridges also but I have hyperparathyroidism and high calcium serum. My Vit D is very low. 10.4   No tumor has been found in my parathyroids. Been tested.  I also lost almost 50lbs since mid Feb unintentionally.

Can someone have high PTH(parathyroism) along with hypothryoid?

Oh..I also have ridges on my two front teeth.
Please do not laugh at me, but are we talking about seeing little indentions on your finger nails when under the light? I noticed mine just last week, but thought that i had pressed something on my fingers without knowing it.

I am considered hypo (TT) , my last TSH level was .95, my calcium and Vit D is normal, although I was on a regiment of VitD  for 12 weeks along with B12, low on that one as well at one time.