Thyroid Disorders Community
very high tsh because of armour thyroid shortage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My TSH is right at 50 I've seen some posts on here a few yrs back that had levels over twice that high are those people still alive to respond.  My Dr. said that my body could shut down and go into a comma in a matter of weeks if we don't get it down.  Mine went up because there was no armour thyroid and the pharmacy made a substitute that is not working for me.  She wants me off all my T3 and T4 and just on a mostly iodine glandular and amiono acid compound for a few weeks before going back on T3 I find that scary since I am already crashing any comments are appreciated.
I'm sure you will get other messages, but from what little info you've provided, your doctor's approach makes no sense to me.   Why isn't the doctor prescribing an alternative T4/T3 med, such as Nature-throid or Thyrolar and getting you back on the program right away? What was the cause for your hypothyroidism?  Were any other tests besides TSH done, like the actual thyroid hormones that are biologically active, namely FT3 and FT4?  If so, what were the results and reference ranges for each?

Since it's the weekend, your doctor probably is not available.  If you start feeling really bad, consider going to the hospital in the interim.  They could help short term.
I can not see the reasoning of your doctor. Off all meds? that doesn't make sense at all. Armour reformulization has failed many people that took the old formula. I am one of them.

There is so much information available on compounding medication and ordering through Canada.

Let me know if you want this information to take to your doctor.

If your TSH is that high - you can bet your FT3 and Ft4 rel thyroid hormone levels are crashed too.

You need more than supplements to help you recover from this.