Thyroid Disorders Community
vitamin d deficiency

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

vitamin d deficiency

I have felt bad for a long time, and I am only 31 years old.  I have had every test known to man, and have seen more doctors than I'd like to admit.  I am even starting to wonder if it's all in my head.  I have symptoms though, that are debilitating and it keeps me from leaving my house.  I often feel on the wake of each new test, that if this one isn't the one that accurately defines my life, I will give up.  On life, on health, on this mission to find the terrorists within my body. But then I slap myself and realize, my life is valuable.  It's depressing to feel so hopeless, and to lose confidence in so many doctors that only care about the sound of the door on the way out of your exam room, and the subsequent paycheck that follows.  It is depressing knowing that you cannot live your life to its fullest potential and do things you know you would love, because you don't feel good.  It is depressing to fear the look on your loved one's face when you are about to tell them about the umteenth dissorder that you have, that you DON'T really have (and you have all the negative bloodwork to prove it).

I have Hashimoto's disease, and I had a brief 2-year time period where I was having seizured (unknown cause).  They ended up being petit mal, absence, and there was something weird about them that left my doctors puzzled.  Essential hypersomnia was causing bouts of sleep at inappropriate times, including three car accidents.  I have endometriosis, I have had mono three times, and the first time put me in the hospital for over a week.  I have horrible PMS, constant crying, confusion, inability to concentrate, slow word recall, and the most annoying symptom of all is the swelling/tingling/redness in my hands and feet.  It is triggered by long showers and extreme heat.  I had surgery 5 months ago for endo and after the surgery I developed acid reflux that was so bad it caused epiglotitis.  I take twice the daily recommended dose of prilosec daily.  I have had a scope, but results showed chronic inflammatory esophagitis, so, I am guessing I have had reflux for a while but just not as bad and didn't recognize the symptoms.

I saw an allergist/immunilogist to find out if my immune system was working okay, because of the recurrent mono, and he started me on vitamin D, 2000IU/day, and Omega 3.  On my own, I decided to get a multi with calcium, zinc, and magnesium to take along with the vitamin D for absorption.  I noticed after 2 weeks that the crying episodes stopped completely and my low spirits (which for years I had blamed on failing health and no good doctor who did any real investigative work--loss of hope, etc) had improved significantly!  I felt like a new person after just 2 weeks.  Even my fingernails looked better.  However, along with all of this good news came the most severe fatigue I have EVER had.  WHY now?  Why after starting all these miracle supplements that were supposedly making me feel awesome?  SO, after one month of taking vitamin D, I went back to the allergist/immunologist and he ordered an immunology panel (which came back normal) a TSH (was normal) and vitamin D.  My vitamin D came back at 21.5!  If I am feeling good at 21.5 you can immagine how bad it was a month prior!  

Can anyone give me any advice or suggestions?  Why do you think my vitamin D is so low?  I have asked my endocrinologist about hyperparathyroid problems but I am waiting for a response.

Please help!!!
Tags: s disease,Hashimoto, GERD / Acid Reflux, Vitamin D, deficiency, Hyperparathyroidism, hashiomotos Syndrom