Thyroid Disorders Community
vitamins/minerals/diet/excercise...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

vitamins/minerals/diet/excercise...

I've done some research online to try and find good foods for hashimotos. What and what not to eat, what vitamins etc.. that people with hashimotos/hypothyroid are usually low on, and i found natural foods that i can include in my regular diet that will assist in my health.

1. Selenium - (i'm eating brazil nuts)
A selenium deficiency is thought to contribute towards the development of Hashimoto’s, and a re-introduction of this mineral can reduce the level of autoimmune anti-bodies

2. Iron (I'm eating raisins)
Many people develop pernicious aenemia when they have Hashimoto’s disease, and need to look at their B12 status while increasing their iron levels.

3. Potassium (I'm eating Raisins and bananas)
Hypothyroidism of all forms has been associated with potassium deficiency. There is a strong interaction between sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium – excess amounts or deficiencies of any one of the four may severely disrupt thyroid function (http://www.ithyroid.com/potassium.htm), so be careful to maintain a good balance.

4. Zinc (I'm eating beef)
Zinc is often low in people with Hashimoto’s or with hypothyroidism, and high in those hitting a hyper state (also found in Hashimoto’s). Gastrointestinal problems – including gluten-intolerance – can also cause zinc deficiency. But supplementation can adversely affect copper and iron levels, so is best found in food sources, as given below.

*Avoid zinc-depleting food too, such as spinach and food containing phytate, found on some cereals and corn

5. Chromium (i'm eating apples, bananas and broccoli)
Chromium is brilliant at helping the body balance its blood-sugar levels

6. Calcium (I'm eating salmon and dairy)
Calcium is involved in almost every biological function, but works in balance with potassium, magnesium and sodium, so is better absorbed in food form rather than as supplements.

7. Magnesium (i'm eating almonds, oatmeal, rice and bananas)
Working synergistically with potassium, calcium and sodium, magnesium is the great ‘relaxer’. This is what you need if you’re having trouble sleeping, or suffering from cramps.

8. Vitamin E (i'm eating almonds and broccoli)
The supplemental form of vitamin E usually contains soya, which is best avoided if you have Hashimoto’s – it aggravates hypothyroidism and increases goitre growth.

9. Protien: (i'm eating protien bars, peanut butter)
Maintain lower body weight, healthy liver and kidney function, blood chemistry, healthier blood sugar regulation and improved glucose tolerance.

10. Fiber: (i'm eating nuts, whole grain breads, apples)
Fiber absorbs water, which keeps the stool soft and promotes rapid passage of material through the intestines. This may reduce exposure to toxic substances and improve the health of the intestines. Fiber also binds fat and cholesterol, and reduces the risk for heart disease. As an added benefit, high fiber foods usually contain important vitamins and minerals.

In addition to this i'm including foods that:
Lower cholesterol:
Oatmeal
walnuts
almonds
salmon
tuna

Lots of water:
based on my weight = 75 ounces daily

Gatorade 8 onces daily to balance electrolytes

V8 Fusion 6 ounces daily

weight, health and energy:
Excercise program 3 x a week

Adrenal health: (I'm eating Oats, green vegetables, bananas and nuts)
The adrenal glands rely heavily on the B complex of vitamins. Pantothenic acid (B5) and Pyridoxine (B6) are especially helpful in treating a low adrenal reserve, and can make a difference within days.
yoga
limit refined carbohydrates.

I know this list is limited to my own personal research and what i prefer to include in my diet, this is by no means the ONLY things that i eat but these things i am including in my daily diet.

With that said my question is this:

Do you think it will hurt to take a daily multi-vitamin in addition to get the things that i'm NOT getting in my daily foods?

Can what is included in a daily vitamin be too much vitamin with what i'm already having in my daily foods?

Thanks sooo much for this - My GP put me onto a multitude of Supplements Vitamin D, Vitamin C, Calcium Plus, Potassium Plus, Selenium, Relaxamag and melatonin cream to rub onto my face and neck prior to bed time ensuring that I sleep in a darkened room.  My endo was shocked as he found my Potassium levels and Calcium levels in my blood to be way tooo high.  In the meantime bought a book called Nourishing Traditions and in future will adopt this type of lifestyle and not go the supplemental route at all.  Bar my thyroid meds was told not to touch any form of supplements for the next 12 weeks - blood work will be done again and then all levels will be checked again.  High Potassium levels is the cause of palpitations and a host of other things.  I am going to work at going a more natural and homeopathic route and rather eat foods that provide us with the different things my body requires.  I ennjoy sprouting seeds, nuts, beans etc dryig them and making my own flour to use for baking bread, pancakes etc.
I had palpitations and not enough potassium or magnesium . . .