vocal cord not working
I have just returned from the ENT's office. He has informed me that one vocal doesn't work and the other is badly bruised. I can talk a little, but voice very horse and deep. Has anyone had this? Jerseygirl88 I am glad to hear you are doing well, and Verora I can't imagine the open chest surgery,,,,,I am sure glad that I didn't have to go there. Thanks for your input everyone. Donna
Sorry to hear about your voice problems.  From all the research I've done, voice problems are not uncommon after a thryoidectomy but most usually resolve themselves. Although the timeframe is different for every individual.  I will cross my fingers, toes, and eyes that your voice comes back quickly!!!  

Although I have problems with my calcim levels after my TT, my voice came back strong very quickly (my family and friends think stronger and louder!!)  Just follow your dr's advice, get plenty of rest and don't overtax yourself. It's been 7 wks since my TT and I still don't have the energy to go back to working out at Curves.  
My surgeon explained that even if the surgery is done 100% textbook by the surgeon there can still be vocal cord problems bcz of the way the gland is sitting, etc., etc. and even though the surgery was performed absolutely perfectly, the cords can suffer.My surgeon said all his patients have gotten their voices back. This is what I recall pre-op .. we had this discussion @ length as I waited to go in.

C~
One of my sisters was almost whispering for six months (which is NOT good for a Jr. High teacher!) but her voice slowly came back and she was at 100% within a year.

I'm sorry you are having this problem!  I hope everything else went okay!

One of the guys in my shop went through the same after his thyroid surgery.Ut took a while but it finally came back.I am also sorry to here you are having to go through this.Just rest adn give yyourself time to heal.
Love Venora
I am sorry to hear about your voice problem, mine is still a bit strained, but my 3 year old thinks it is funny that Mommy can't be LOUD! From what I was told your problem is not uncommon (especially with as extensive as your procedue was!)and should resolve.

Hang in there, keeping you in my prayers
Jen
I had my thyroid removed in August, 2009, and my voice is still hoarse, soft, and still have breathing problems. It is very frustrating, especially on the phone.  People get very rude with you when they tell you to speak louder and you can't.  No one warned me before this surgery, that I may have problems with my voice.