Thyroid Disorders Community
what does enlarged thymus mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

what does enlarged thymus mean?

Ive had 3 CT scans in the last year and a half. First one measured my thymus at 3.1 x 2.0cm, second one two months later measured it as 3.3 x 2.1cm May 2010, the last one was 3.8 x 2.4cm last August. At first I was told it was a Thymoma and i needed a biopsy but when I went to get a second opinion my new doctor said "Thymoma is just a word that means enlarged thymus it doesn't mean cancer." If there is nothing to worry about why is it growing? I'm 28 y/o shouldn't my thymus of atrophied and shrunk by now? What does Thymoma mean and enlarged Thymus?

Symptoms- blurry vision, limb weakness, chest pain, shortness of breath, fatigue that gets worse in heat, left eye droops lower than right, all these symptoms improve after rest and worsen with any type of physical activity.
"The thymus is a specialized organ of the immune system.  The only known function of the thymus is the production and "education" of T-lymphocytes (T cells), which are critical cells of the adaptive immune system.  The thymus is composed of two identical lobes and is located anatomically in the anterior superior mediastinum, in front of the heart and behind the sternum."

Do you really mean thymus or do you mean "isthmus", which is the center part of the thyroid gland, which sits just below the adam's apple? 2 separate organs.
Thymus...so my doctor saying an enlarged Thymus is nothing to worry about, is he right? Everything I've read suggests a Thymoma as being cancerous. What should i do? I have another CT in Nov but my doc has already waited 1 year and a half and keeps telling me I'm fine. Trouble is I'm far from fine! I'm on a list to switch apartments cause climbing my stairs is killing me and walking to the mailbox is like ruck marching from my army days. What should i do?
This is the thyroid forum, and I'm not at all familiar with thymus cancer/Thymoma.  To my knowledge the thymus has nothing to do with thyroid.  

Have you had any thyroid testing done to see if you may have an issue with it?  

Maybe you need to find another doctor.......
Well that answers one thing. I have my bloodwork here but all it really says is my TSH is at 6.34. A few things are low but the reason I posted here is because my doc is starting me on synthroid and says that will shrink my Thymus but I'm losing confidence fast since hes misdiagnosed every step of the way so far.
Also the VA isn't like civilian doctors. I can't even get the guy to do a bloodtest

I'm rambling i'll post in a different section. Thanks anyway
If your TSH is 6.34, then yes, you could have a thyroid issue.  You also need to get your Free T3 and Free T4 levels tested.  Those are the actual thyroid hormones, while TSH is a pituitary hormone.  

Can you post the other levels that were low, so we can see if they pertain to thyroid or not?  Also, please post the reference ranges, since these vary from lab to lab, so must come from your own report.  

I just saw this post today and not sure if you have been diagnosed.  I suffer with the same symptoms and have been diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis.  To get this diagnosis I went to a Neurologist.  I am not diagnosing you but hopefully leading you to someone who can help.  Hopefully you have found some relief.  Good Luck
This is a very old post and the original poster has not been active on the forum since this thread; it's unlikely you will get a response.  I'm glad that you got a diagnosis, though, and hope your condition is under control.