why am i always thirsty
within the past 3 weeks or so I have been extremely thirsty and urinating alot. I usually have about 3  twenty ounce bottles of water within the first two hours after I wake up. In a day I drink between 8-10 bottles of water. At first I didn't think anything of it, but now I'm kinda of worried. Should I be? I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid about 4 years ago and am currently taking 125mcg of synthroid. I haven't started any new meds nor have I recently stopped any. My diet hasn't changed. I am worried because my mother who is 53, was just diagnosed with diabetes. But besides her we have no family history.
My husband has diabetes also, not unusual to be thirsty all the time. I think it's normal to urinate alot if your drinking that much water during the day.  Maybe you need to be screened for the diabetes also.  If I were you I'd see my doctor and get a blood test or if you don't want to spend that money right away I'd try my mother's meter once just to see where your blood sugar level is.  But the only way to really find out is with the test your doctor can order, it tells you what your level has been over, I think a 3 month period.  Good luck.
Hate to ask - but do you smoke. I notice if I smoke and do it heavier than usual- with my thyroid meds - I die of thirst.

I am in the process of quitting - hopefully this will work and see a difference.

It still may be a good idea to have diabetes ruled out at your doctor's office too.

You could also try drinking a glass of water with fresh lemon in it. It stimulates the saliva glands to produce more. I find that helps too.
Thanks for the bit of info. I have an appointment to see my doctor in a week. And to stella yes I do smoke, also trying to quit. I just recently lost my job and I think as a result I have been smoking heavier. I'll try the water with lemon too, thanks. Good luck trying to quit.