Thyroid Disorders Community
why do some people feel the cold more than others?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Wondering if anyone who has  Hypothyroidism feels the cold more than others? The cold makes my legs hurt.
I;m not sure why but I am one of those folks too. I always have a sweater and extra sox with me.I'm always cold !!!!

It is hard while I'm at work, most of the women are going through or have reached menopause and they're always hot - they had the air conditioning on last week on a day it was 35 degrees outside!
I'm hypo and sensitive to the cold weather. I have a hard time with it since the weather is now cold and snowy. I just can't keep warm. I wear extra thick socks, thermals, a heavy sweathshirt around the house. Even when the temps were in the 50's, I was cold. maybe that explains why I never really had hot flashes during menopause. I was actually chilled to the bone were my legs hurt. Sometimes when nothing else works in getting me warm, I go to a tanning bed just to feel the heat on my bones which feels good. In the summer, I can't have the air on too cold, so I keep it around 76, just enough to get rid of the humidity. I hate the cold!!!!
It seems fairly typical for hypothyroids to feel the cold more than others.  I think it is because your metabolism and body temperature are below normal until the doc gets your thyroid meds straightened out. Here is a related link you might find interesting.

http://www.drrind.com/scorecard.asp
I am sitting here with sweater and super thick socks on. The temp is reading 74 in here so guess i am one of those with hypo and cold body temp =)
All I can say is:

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... LOL