Thyroid Disorders Community
why increase in thyroid medication?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

why increase in thyroid medication?

My doctor had me on 25mg. of levothyroxine, but increased my dose to 50mg. about 3 weeks ago. I have been waking at night with night sweats, have been having headaches, and pounding heart. The results of the TSH test was: 5.84 and the normal results should have been 0.350-5.500. I have noticed in this forum that some of the normal results can go as high as 6.0. My question is did I really need the 50mg since I am having to suffer side effects? I was feeling fine with the 25mg.
Thanks.
If you were feeling fine, why did he up the dosage? Just because of the number? I thought if you were feeling good before the upping, that would show that you were progressing well. Did you ask why he was upping the dose?? And tell him you were feeling good before then?
It's my understanding that the TSH of someone being treated on medication should be a little lower.  Lower than that of those not on treatment and lower than the average population of people with no thyroid issue  Actually, my dr wants mine even lower than yours, in the range of 0.3 to 3.0 mIU/L.  Mine usually falls around 2.50 (had a TT though).  You might get responses here of those whose drs want their TSH even lower than that.

If you are having side-effects, I would let the dr know.

Take care.