Thyroid Disorders Community
why second blood test 6 weeks later to determine thyroid prob

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi I am new to this but I really need answers as I have been unwell for a long time. I have suffered massive stress and a lot of bullying which has resulted in  a year of 2 bouts of shingles, 4 months of severe sinus infection, recurrant migraines, memory probs, severe tiredness, SVT attacks and much more. Last week I had a lot of blood tests taken and today I am told all is ok apart from the thyroid test which all they are saying (according to the receptionist) is "take no action now and test in 6 weeks time. I am a bit worried that if they have foubnd something should they wait and is this normal? does anyone know? please, thanks.
You should just ask your doctor for the results, the actual "number". Depending on the lab, most TSH levels are 0.4 - 4.8.  If you are 4.8 or say... 5.2, then your thyroid is "underactive".
(See the numbers seem to go the wrong way, the bigger the number, the more underactive you are).
Lets say your number was 1.0, then your going toward "overactive".
Just ask the doctor who ordered the test, they have to tell you.
Thank you toot47, I am nervous about calling them but I will today, I think they see me as a nuisance as I have been back and forth with so many symptoms and they always say stress, I do seem though to have a lot of the thyroid problems listed.
have a good day.
Most patients that eventually uncover some form of abnormal thyroid condition do find doctors push off stress an an issue before they find thyroid levels off.

That's common and the last thing you need to do is convince yourself "you" are the problem and think you are intimadating that office.

you PAY for their service when you go and they should be telling you everything and not treating you in a way YOU feel BAD about seeking their help.

I did however uncover things from my issue. The more I understood MY situation and what may be going wrong many good things happened. One good thing was the doctor treating me KNEW - I understood things and they were more willing to talk to me on a level of theirs to get me well. Also I became strong enough to NOT allow intimidation and that "stress" diagnoises - became less of a push off treatment option.

Take hold of yourself is my best suggestion for you. Only YOU know when you feel bad and your gut sometimes will tell you that things aren't right. Listen to that.

I agree, get the lab sheet they did on your thyroid. Rule of thumb here - "Make sure they ran all the right tests"... FT3-FT4 and TSH. DO not ALLOW them to only read the TSH as the only thing determining treatment.

I have to stress to the response poster Toot. You can't say someone with a 1.0 TSH test is leaning to hyper. That is a myth and should not be followed.

Even though the reference ranges are put in place on the TSH for treatment with the NTA and AACE - this is a class A - symptomatic hormonal imbalance with this disease and number on TSH usually mean little with this disease.

Stress is a huge factor in hormonal imbalance whether thyroid or others. A doctor will never totally pin point you if you continue down that path allowing stress to control you. Painful experiences as you have had - must be overcome emotionally for you to get well. This sometimes is the toughest thing to hear and get help - but it is the most valuable thing you can do for yourself.

To answer your post also. I can only assume this too. - Your receptionist at that office must have "notes" on the lab sheet you had done. Even through the "tests" are saying normal - there must be some "gray" area and their decision is to retest on 6 weeks ( normal protacol) to see if you still are in that gray area.

Retesting would not be done unless there is solid question on issues.

Again - this is why getting those hardcopy lab sheets are sooooo important!
Thanks stella for all that info and advice, I agree I need a printout of all my results to see what's going on. My poor brother who's only 2 years older than me was misdiagnosed for years and treated for stress until he got an emergency call one day after another blood test to say he was dangerously hyper....critical level. Since then he;s had his thyroid removed and had a terrible time with treatment, he insists on getting all the thorough tests and not just the tsh as you say.
As for my stress, I'm a full time carer for my chronically ill daughter, my family have all gone far away and for 7+ years I have cared for her alone after just having cared for my deceased Mother. I am now being bullied by solicitors and my ex husband over a nasty divorce and I am zapped, I have kept my head above water for so long coping on my own strengths, but we all have a cut of point especially when  weak health limits us too. Hopefully the thyroid issue will get treated soon and I'll have more energy to cope.
Thanks again so much.
Sorry to hear about your brother. Again this is why advocancy of yourself and knowledge play a huge role with thyroid.

Honey - the stress you are enduring is NOT good - thyroid or ??? - Get it to go away.

You daught is #1 and that is the issue you may have for life. That is NOT your stress level - its you obligation as a mom and most likely doing a fantastic job.

It the other bullsh!t that's bringing you down. This is where you must get things under control. TOO much will cost you your health. PERIOD.

Been there.............. done that...... I almost died too from this disease and lead a life of constant bullsh!t too.

Only YOU can change that though.
Hi Stella, thanks for your message and support, you are right my daughter is my no.1 priority and NO ONE is going to hurt her if I can help it, I have had years of constant critisism and yet no help and I have done a damn good job. The stress others impose is cruel and damaging to her and I have to fight constantly for us both....I HATE what the solicitors have done to us "money over health every time" I won't stop fighting but my health suffers as a consequence. I'm so sorry you have and are having such a **** time too, you sound strong for it all....my carers support worker is always saying to me "girl power" when she see's women fighting for thier rights...boy have I ahd to do that.
As for the thyroid thing got the rest of the test results, TSH 0.03, FT3 5.8, FT417.5. The doc says it's ok, there's another result that shows up as "Low" but I haven't worked out that one yet, a bit scared to be honest.
Thanks again and take care,
well... based on those labs - ( there should be reference ranges next to them too on the lab sheet) but things maybe be better than you first assumed.

the 5.8 FT3 lab would be in good ranges regardless of the reference ranges attached. I am worried some on the FT4 though - that looks high. are you sure it is not 1.75 - instead of 17.5? - seeing that reference range may help me some.

I can laugh now at your statement about how others can critize - but not able to offer anything to help. Just had an episode of that very thing happen to me too. A neice of "many aunts" in my family is now homeless and living far away. She wants to come home - but her past marriage has many E-legal ( lol)  things in it that could put anyone in danger if they attach themselves to her. Serious things. This neice's biological mother is dead.

I want desperately to help her but refuse to put my family in harms way too. I was on the county support lines - arranging for her to be place as homeless back in our town. OMG - the calls I got critizing me for wanting to "stick" her in a shelter. Years ago that would have made me take her and if something happened bad I dealt w/ it. NOW - as I said to them - Fine - if you can do something better for her - HERE is HER number to call her. _ Yep - everyone stuck their heads in their butts when I said that. - AND the neice now - is taking the levels of getting her life back together too - KNOWING I was only helping her to come home - not HOUSE her. understand?

Don't let that abuse continue - or you will feel like cr@p forever.