Thyroid Disorders Community
worried about my newborns thyroid levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My baby boy is 2.5 weeks old and was born at 38 weeks 4 days gest. After taking him to his first doctrs appt at 5 days old his bili lvl was tested and came back at 20.9. They brought abiliwrap out to the house and he was on it for 4 days & off of it for one and retested his lvls were at 15 so dr said no more testing had to be done but what I'm really worried about is hisnewborn thyroid lvls from the hospital came back elevated. His tsh was at 39 and dr said it shld be 34 baby was retested at 11 days old and dr said tsh lvl were normal but t4 levels were at 12.05 and shld be below 11.4. I don't know what's going on or what could be wrong with our baby boy please give me some info on this if possible. He was retested a 2nd time at 18 days old and his t4 lvl was still slightly elevated with the samelvl of 12.05.
Hello! Thought I'd touch base with you as my daughter was born without a thyroid gland in 2000.  An elivated TSH would  mean that more thyroid hormone is needed. It is a signal put out from the pituitary gland to stimulate the thyroid gland into making more thyroid hormone. T4 is actually only a storage thyroid hormone that must convert within the body to the active thyroid hormone T3.  Since your baby boy seems to have more than enough t4, then I would have the doctor run labs to check the free t3 level. Also, just because the t4 is coming in slightly elivated does not mean that the level is truly all his own, as babies are born with some of our thyroid hormone in their body. Also, nursing can sway this some as breast milk does have thyroid hormone in it, even though many endocrinologist feel it is minimal, I know for a fact with first hand experience that it is not. I would definitly keep a close eye on things and if you are not satisfied, then take him into a pediatric endocrinologist for further screening. Babies must have the proper amount of thyroid hormone for their brains and bodies to grow normally and it is time sensitive. I'd definitly ask for another set of labs to be run and make sure they include the freet3 level this time as it is the most important thing to track. It is the active thyroid hormone available to the cells. Is your baby having any symptoms of congenital hypothyroidism? Sleeps alot, modeled veiny skin, cold feet and hands, hoarse cry, enlarged fontinal (soft spot), etc... The problem with the symptoms in babies is that they are things that you must really look for as they don't stand out really. You can google to read more. I hope I've been of some help and I hope that all will be well for your new baby boy. My daughter started thyroid hormone replacement at the age of 3 weeks and she is a normal 10 year old today. Had her issue not been discovered early on, this would not be so. Also, Jaundice can  be a symptom of low thyroid, so please keep this in mind as well.