Thyroids Gone User Group
Total or partial removal of thyroid?
About This Group:

For those that have had a Total or Partial Thyroidectomy and the recovery that happens after the surgery. Getting one's life back, sharing in the ups and downs once our thyroid is gone.

Founded by MyBestAlways on October 1, 2009
35 members

Total or partial removal of thyroid?

My 26 year old daughter, whose mother has Hashimoto's, has a Huerthle cell neoplasm on the right side of the thyroid and another nodule on the left side that by itself is not a concern to the doctors.  So she faces the decision of total thyroid removal or removal of just the right side with the neoplasm.  We've been told that there is roughly a 75% chance that the neoplasm is benign and thus, if she elects for partial removal, she has a good chance of not requiring a second surgery to remove the other side right away.  But what are the chances that at some point in her life, the left side will develop a neoplasm too, thus requiring a second surgery?
capewind commented on capewind's status
Apr 25
redheadaussie Yet another surgery next we... Comment
Apr 23
capewind Ok, I did ER they said Bipo... Comment
Apr 18