? Vocal tic or what?
My son talks out loud to himself a lot, is this a tic?  It bothers him that he does this and he has a hard time not doing it.  
It is really hard to determine which behaviors are tics and which are just normal childhood quirks.  But, at tic is habitual, occurs in about the same way each time and persists.  Watch your son to see if he has other tics.  Motor tics includ eye blinking and repetitive gestures.  Vocal tics could include those you mention or repetitive sounds.  A neurologist is the best one to evaluate your son and determine if he has a tic disorder.  But, if it is a tic disorder, please know that it is out of your son's control (much like a sneeze) and he is unable to just "stop."  My daughter has had tics since the age of 4...Tourette's dx by the age of 5 and it comes on very suddenly and persists.  You can feel better knowing that most kids with tic disorders or Tourette's have mild cases and they often don't require medication.  Just be there for your son and realize he is also likely scared about this change.  Take him for an evaluation if it persists. But, know that it is not a lack of intellect or social skill that causes the tics.  It is a real disorder and one day they will hopefully know the cause!

Shelly