4 year old with a vocal tic
My son is a typical 4 year old boy who to date hasn't had any major issues going on.  Last year right before his 3rd birthday he had a motor tic of blinking his eyes.  He also stuttered a little which his doctor said could also be a tic.  Both of these cleared up and we have not seen anything in almost a year.  Two days ago he started with this grunting.  Today it is constant.  We have tried ignoring it and talking to him about it, but it still happening all the time.  He does it while looking at books, playing, and even when talking he will start with the grunt then finishes the word/sentence or add a grunt in the middle of a sentence.  Just looking for some advise.  With the tics from last year and now this could this be the start of something or is this common for his age?  We have his 4 year old well checkup in a month, but should we schedule something before that.    
My son has Tourette's for a few years now.  Sometimes medication helps, and sometimes it doesnt, or too costly.  In our case, we found meds that help but cost too much. So currently he isnt taking any.

If you dont plan on giving him meds, I would just wait until your original appt because there is nothing to help or cure without meds so then there would be no rush. Just watch and see....

However I wanted an answer right away and I did rush.  There is no test to determine if he has it, just by visual of the dr.

My son has these tics as well.  =)