Tourette Syndrome Community
7 year old daughter snorting, making noises with mouth ..

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

My dear 7 year old daughter has been making some smacking, clicking, sucking (all together) noises for about 6 months, just about three weeks ago, she began moving her head (as though she is getting hair out of her face) and just last week started snorting (like a pig sound).  I have no clue.  Her doctor said to start documenting everything and wait for her wellness exam in November unless I feel I should come in sooner.  I do not believe this is for attention purposes and have figured out that she does not realize she is doing it...unless the snorting gets too loud and she pretends like she is snoring.  I believe at that point she has caught herself and tries to be funny.  At first I was concerned and upset cause I thought it was for attention but I know my dear daughter well enough and she is bright, friendly, happy and all the good things one can say about their child.  So I eventually realized it was not for attention purposes.  Can someone give me some advice, kind words that will help in this moment?  
In appreciation,
WifeyMommy
Hi, Thank you for your question. It sounds like it may be sleep apnoea syndrome that is cessation of airflow during sleep preventing air from entering the lungs caused by any obstruction but that only happens during sleep. Common symptoms include loud snoring, restless sleep, and sleepiness during the daytime. Diagnostic tests include home oximetry or polysomnography in a clinic. I would suggest you to meet a pediatrician to reach to diagnosis. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your quick response.  Her tics and noise making happen ALL day long.  She sleeps comfortably without snoring or anything.  I do know her sleep habits because when dear hubby is at training or gone for longer periods she crawls in bed with me : )
I was told to look up tourettes?
Thank you again,
WifeyMommy
How is your dear daughter now??  My son has done the snorting noise alot....  He has severe anxiety and has just started therapy.
Hi, my 4 year old daughter does the snorting noises also. Your comment particularly jumped out at me because I feel a as though she has some form of anxiety as well. I would even say it is severe. Is the sound that she is making a contributing factor in kids with anxiety issues according to your physician?