Tourette Syndrome Community
BURNING AND SORES inside mouth and tongue

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

i have burning inside my mouth and cancor sores underneath my tongue.  even chewing gum burns my mouth and i can't use toothpaste.  i use peroxide to brush my teeth because i have sores that come and go on the right side of my mouth to the gums and underneath and along side my tongue on the right side.  i had a dentist tell me this was more than likely a vitamin deficiency of some sort but after all this time i tend to think it is possibly an acid surplus.  i have been on celebrex for joint pain, effexor for a spastic colon, and the only timing i can relate all of this to is the death of my mother at Christmas 2008.  If i eat chips, my mouth gets extremely sore, if i eat sausy tomato things, my mouth gets sore, if i don't eat any of these things, my mouth and tongue still burns, and if i take zantac, it helps.  i have in two years had only two times without uncers below and alongside my tongue on the right side and i have no idea why.  it wouldn't be so bad except that even ice cream and bubble gum burns like wild fire ALWAYS!
Vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms are numerous but include burning mouth syndrome, canker sores and IBS (spastic colon). A deficiency may not be picked up as most labs reference ranges are too low.  Symptoms are well noted to occur in "normal" B12 serum levels. I recommend 1000mcg of sublingual (under the tongue) B12 daily. Sublingual is available in lozengers, tablets, drops, and spray. I personally prefer the spray. :)

"The researchers tested the effect of vitamin B12 on 58 randomly selected RAS [Recurrent Aphthous Stomatitis better known as canker sores] patients who received either a dose of 1,000 mcg of B12 by mouth at bedtime or a placebo, and were tested monthly for six months. Approximately three quarters (74 percent) of the patients of the treated group and only a third (32 percent) of the control group achieved remission at the end of the study." - Science daily - Vitamin B12 Identified As An Effective Canker Sore Therapy, Study Suggests
Interesting.  I'll do anything!  Thanks so much!
I have a ten year old son who has suffered with mouth ulcers since the age of 5. For the past two years he hasn't had a single day without a mouth ulcer, until now...I came across information that suggested he might be deficient in iron or Vitamin B12 or folic acid. I visited my GP and he did blood tests that say this is not the case, so I investigated further and found information that said that sodium lauryl sulphate may be the problem. So perhaps you could switch from peroxide which will be burning your mouth and switch to a toothpaste that does not contain sodium lauryl sulphate (we use Sensodyne Pronamel). We started using the toothpase on Monday, it's now Thursday and he has no mouth ulcers and none on the way. I can't tell you how happy he was going off to school today and he had his first decent night's sleep in nearly 2 years! Just as a by the way...he moved from infant toothpaste at the age of 5 to adult toothpase - so I do not think it's a coincidence that he has been suffering this since that time, but I guess as the years progress the body is unable to get any respite as he is brushing twice a day. Hope this works for you.