Tourette Syndrome Community
CONCERNED ABOUT MY DAUGHTER"S MOTOR TICK

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

My daughter is 5 yrs. old.  Her right arm started to twitch about 4 wks. ago.  I took her to the hospital because I was concerned.  They diagnosed it as a motor tick.  I referred to a neurologist as well.  He also diagnosed it as a motor tick.  She has no feeling when her arm is twitchng.  We try not to talk about it around her. I don;t know if I should explain it to her, but I see now that it will have an affect on her going to school because other kids will wonder why her arm is twitching.  Just the other day she asked herself what was wrong with herself. She told her arm to stop, so I don't know if she feels it twitching or if it's cuz we tell her stop don't move your arm, but that was before we found out it was a Motor Tick.  He also diagnosed it as Terret Syndrome. I want to know if these Motor Ticks go away and how that produce in there bodies. We think that it's because she went on vacation to her grandmas and she can't do alot over there like she does at home so her body got anxious of just sitting in the same room.
Hi!  To me it seems abit early to be making a Tourettes diagnosis based only on what you've said is happening.  Tourettes is abit more involved than just an arm twitch so I'd be getting another opinion.  Also the tics have to be present for between 1-2 years {depending on what you read}, and you say your daughter only started this 4 wks ago.  

Could be more of a transient tic, or some other thing, but way too early for Tourettes diagnosis.
hope this helps a little, and all the very best to you.
Lyn.
This is a hard one, she could be doing it just for the attention, as you said, she just got back from her grandmas and can't do a lot there like she does at home.
Maybe she's only doing this at home, with you because of the attention you pay to her when she does it. Even taking her to the Neurologist is considered "attention".
I think it's too early for a Neurologist to be able to make a positive diagnosis of Tourette's Syndrome. There is much more involved than just involuntary motor "tics" with Tourette. Keep your eyes on her behavior, but don't make her self-conscious about it. Tourette's is genetic, is there a family history of the disease?
Feel free to contact me anytime.
It doesn't seem like there's ever any Doctors replying to the Posts here, which is really a shame, there is a desperate need for at least a Psychiatrist or Neurologist on the Forum. My son showed signs of Tourette at the age of 3, it was a nightmare.
I pray that this will not be the diagnosis for your daughter.
Consider me a friend, in any case.
Hugs & Prayers
In order to be diagnosed with Tourettes you must have at least 2 motor tics and 1 vocal tic.  They do not have to all be present at the same time.  My daughter started off with her first tic being eye blinking at the age of 5.  The tics will come and go and some tics will go and never come back.  She did the eye blinking for about 6 months and then it went away and has never come back though it has been replaced with other tics.  My daughter is now 11 soon to be 12.  I think we as parents notice the tics more than others.  My daughter has never been made fun of (so far) by her peers but her tics have not been anything too aggressive.  She has had the eye blinking, nose twitching, making a noise (not sure if it came from the mouth or nose), hand twirling (did this for the longest), etc.  She now has a tic where she bangs her knees together.  It is quite possible that your daughters tic will be gone by the time she starts school.  I know it is easier said then done but try not to worry to much (though I still do).  I'm always waiting for the tics to get worse or for her to come home and tell me that she is getting picked on due to the tics.  Read Soprano35's post.  I found it to be very helpful!!!

Good luck and hang in there!!!