Tourette Syndrome Community
Childhood Tics?

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Childhood Tics?

Hello, if anyone out there has shared this experience please help. My son is 5 years old and he has recently started clearing his throat all the time when he eats and then making this other funny little swallowing noise sometimes (pretty often) even when he is not eating. Some days it seems pretty bad and some days it is hardly there. I am worried, I have been reading about childhood tics and how they go away.

Has your child ever had this and did they in fact go away? Did you have to treat it with meds or did it just go away on it's own? Anything I can do to make it stop more naturally?

Thanks so much.
.

Childhood tics are not uncommon. The majority of children simply outgrow them. There are prescription medications that can help reduce the frequency and severity of tics, but they generally come with negative side effects.

Most patients with tics or Tourette's do not require medication and simply learn to cope with their tics. The vast majority of Tourette's cases are in children and adolescents, and rarely does it continue into adulthood.

Tics generally worsen in times of stress and stimulation (both mental and physical). See if you can recognize a pattern for when the tics are bad, and when they are nonexistent. Many people also find that their tics disappear while they are focused on a particular task. Bringing attention to the tics typically makes them worse, although it may be necessary from time to time.

Because your child has only exhibited vocal tics, and not motor tics, he is definitely not classified under Tourette's. I recommend experimenting with simple lifestyle techniques - creating a relaxed environment, making sure he gets plenty of sleep and exercise, eats healthy, etc. Monitor the tics without bringing attention to them. If you start noticing motor (physical) tics such as facial grimacing, twitches, squinting, etc, consult your physician.
I myseld have suffered from tics/touretts and still am its hard to cope with but since hes young you can do some stuff that might make it easier to stop. Im on these allergies besause these "tics" im having also results into allergies so get him to a allergenist and try to see if that might help. Hope your child can get it helped.